Seventeen

Arya walked into the studio, finding it surprisingly dark. There was no source of sound except her foot steps. She walked inside, searching for the switches to put on the lights.

Suddenly she heard loud voices and jumped in fright.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to dear Arya! Happy Birthday to you!" Taehyung's and Mia's voice sang, aloud.

Arya saw candles reaching towards her and in the brightness of those candles Taehyung's face glowed.

"Well, hurry and blow them or they will melt and ruin the cake."

Arya smiled and was about to blow the candles when Mia stopped her.

"Make a wish."

She did. As selfish as it was, Arya longed to feel Taehyung's love someday. It was betrayal to Mia, but it was also just a wish that most likely wouldn't come true. Nevertheless, she wished for it.

__________

Arya looked over the city as her legs swung over the tall cliff. Taehyung and her settled down after a messy cake fight. Arya's face felt greasy even after wiping it many times. Taehyung couldn't stop fretting about how he would break out.

It was way past midnight. Taehyung and Arya sat together, making small talks. They forgot that they both were once married and now divorced. That night felt as though it was set before all the chaos.

"You look sleepy. Do you want to go home?" Taehyung asked, noticing Arya's droopy eyes.

Arya shook her head and wiped the sleep out of her eyes before glancing at him.

"I don't want to leave this place. It's so peaceful. Do you come here often?"

"Whenever I need to be alone. After Mia left," his voice toned down. "I spent most of the nights here."

He looked down to his lap before his face twisted from pain into a brief smile.

"I don't do that anymore. I realised I don't need to find peace elsewhere."

It took her a few seconds to understand what he meant. She smiled back.

"Amara really brought change in-"

"It's not all Amara." Taehyung cut her off. His smile slowly fell, but the intensity in his eyes as he looked at her stayed the same. His palm landed on her hand and he squeezed it gently, letting warmth course through her.

"It's you." Taehyung whispered. "You saw me at my lowest. I have been nothing but a jerk to you. I gave you a million reasons to leave me but you..." He chuckled in disbelief.

"...you chose to stay through it all. I have been wondering, Arya, if it's because of grandma's promise or because you love me too much."

Arya let out an unsteady breath, battling her emotions. She had come so far and she couldn't give into his will now.

"It doesn't matter. We are not married anymore. I won't be staying here for long."

Taehyung knew, but hearing it from her sounded painful.

"Why did you give up? Why now?"

Taehyung noticed Arya's eyes glistening under the moonlight.

"I was afraid if I didn't give up I would lose myself while fighting for you."

Arya needed to forget how she felt and start thinking about what she deserved. The hurt and tears wasn't it.

__________

"What happened this time?" Jungkook asked, sitting at the bar while Taehyung sipped on wine.

"Arya." Taehyung replied. Jungkook sighed.

"You both are divorced now. She gave you what you wanted. Stop being a jerk-"

"I love her." Taehyung's words shut Jungkook up.

"Are you for real?" Jungkook asked, wide eyed.

"I don't know, honestly. I don't want her to leave. It's hard to imagine not having her around." Taehyung ran his hands through his hair in frustration. Jungkook looked at him with his jaw hung open.

"When did this happen? I thought you hated her?" Taehyung chuckled, bitterly.

"Hate? I never hated her. I was furious that she was trying to take Mia's place in my life, but the truth is," Taehyung gulped. "Arya never tried to do that. She gave me all the time in the world to but in return I kept hurting her."

Taehyung felt he deserved it. He deserved to lose Arya, but at the same time he didn't want to let go of her without trying.

"I don't think it's fair to her. She stayed as long as she could. If she wants to go now, you need to let her go."

"If only it's that easy."

Taehyung drove towards the dance studio. He was moderately drunk as he parked in front of the building.

His hands were shoved in his pockets as he stared at the locked door in front of him. He heaved a sigh, his mind racing with all of sweet bitter memories the studio held.

"Here's the key. We have been cleaning regularly as you requested." Taehyung gave the receptionist a curt nod and waited for her to leave before putting in the key. His heart thumped in his chest as the door opened with a creaking sound.

The first thing he saw was the mirror reflecting his presence. The mirror he leaned against catching his breath after every practice.

He walked around, slowly taking every inch of that place. The place where everything started and ended. The place where he smiled and cried, where he hurt and got hurt.

He leaned against the mirror before his gaze fell down to his shoes.

"Mia," He whispered, "Are you watching me from up there like Amara says?"

He let out a shaky breath before proceeding.

"I hurt her so much. I don't even know how to make it up to her. She seems too at ease nowadays. Probably because she's leaving this hell soon."

All of a sudden, Taehyung heard a soft giggle. His head whipped to the side to see Arya, much younger, in her school uniform and wearing her charming smile. She put her hand forward.

"I'm Arya! Hope we get acquainted."

Taehyung was about to take her hand, but before he could, she dissolved into thin air. He looked around frantically and found her by the mirror.

"You are a great dancer. Think you can teach me?"

She then disappeared and popped up behind a pillar. The cheerfulness in her eyes was no more.

"Is Mia your girlfriend?"

She disappeared again, leaving Taehyung in a mess of emotions. A constant reminder that he wouldn't see her after a few days brought him turmoil.

In that moment, Taehyung realised he should have woken up sooner and tried harder. She was worth the fight, worth more than anything he had chosen over her.