11: Bed Wetting

This is my favorite picture lmaooo ^^

CATALINA

Catarina stands across from me, placing student files in alphabetical order in a big, metal filing cabinet. On Fridays, I pick her up from work and we go out to dinner so that we can catch up on each other's lives. Since I'm always busy now and rarely have time for things that don't involve my children, Catarina and I don't get to spend as much time together as we used to before. I don't want us to grow apart because before I had anything or anyone, I had her. She's my very best friend and always has been.

"Okay. I'm done." She says and steps away from the filing cabinet faster than I can grab my jacket.

"Faster than last time." I tease.

She's never done on time because she works until her time off, and after she's actually off she has to stay to put everything back in its place and get herself ready to go.

"Please tell me you picked somewhere fancy, because I've been craving surf n turf but I don't have surf n turf money." She speaks, subtly reminding me about the place she suggested.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, I picked your place."

"Ah!" She squeals. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Very rarely, yes." I laugh.

As we walk towards the front exit, the sound of heavy, metal doors shutting behind us makes the both of us turn around. Opposite of the dramatic sound made by the doors, the sight before us isn't scary at all: a little girl dressed in matching pink pajamas.

"Hey Ms.C." She nods her head in Catarina's direction.

Her chestnut hair with blonde highlights is in a low, tangled ponytail that stops at her waist as if she's never had a proper trim or cut. She has slender brown eyes, a round button nose, and full lips on her youthful, round face. Her night time attire intrigues me, but not as much as the duffle bag and pillow that she's transporting into the storage closet beside Catarina and I.

"Hi." Catarina smiles warmly. "Need anything before I go?"

The girl stops to think before she responds. "Nah, I'm good. I ate and stuff."

Catarina nods her head and the girl starts to open the door, but Catarina abruptly interrupts her.

"Oh!" Her eyes widen. "Kali, this is my sister, Catalina."

The girl--Kali-- stops to look me up and down before she shrugs and looks at Catarina again. She nods her head at me and I awkwardly raise my arm to wave back. Without saying another word or giving anyone else the chance to, she walks in the closet and closes the door. As soon as she is out of sight I snap my head in Catarina's direction.

"Is she sleeping here!?" I try to keep my voice low.

I watch the way Catarina's eyes dart in several different directions before they even begin to look my way. She only nods her head as a response. My jaw drops in shock. The girl doesn't even look old enough to pick out her own outfits in the morning.

"and you're just letting her!?" I scoff. "My God, how old is she?"

"She's 10." Catarina says. "and there isn't much I can do, I've thought about it and letting her do what she needs to do is the best way I can help her."

"Why not?"

"I can't call the police, because they'll force her to go back where she came from or put her in a foster home. I can't tell the administration here, because they'll make her leave and call the cops. I've even thought about letting her stay with me and Christian and his 50 guns, but we know that would never work." Catarina explains. "and whoever her foster parents are, are so bad that she'd rather be homeless. So, I can't tell anyone and have her sent back."