Eight: Books

AUGUST

I pull back the cream colored curtains to peep through the blinds. It's a habit that I haven't gotten rid of yet. Although the only thing I see is the house across the street, cars rarely pass through the cul-de-sac and when they do it's usually someone who lives in one of the homes.

My phone rings in my pocket. I didn't notice how focused I was until I flinch at the vibration. I sigh as answer

"Did you tell anyone?" Melody asks before I say hello.

"I'm doing fine, thank you." I say sarcastically.

"This is serious. Did you tell? Don't tell anyone means don't tell your wife either!"

"Why are you yelling at me? No, I didn't tell."

"Okay, good." Melody takes a sigh of relief. "Well, I'm going to find her."

"Who?"

"My daughter. Duh."

My eyes widen. I try to respond, but before I can give my opinion on her awful idea I hear loud cries and the pitter patter of little feet as they run towards me.

From the sound of it, I know that it'll require my full attention

"I'm going to have to call you back." I say to Melody. "Make smart, beneficial decisions only while you wait."

I look down to see Alyssa standing at my legs and looking up at me with tears streaming down her face.

I frown as I lift her up in my arms so we can talk. "What's wrong?"

"I-I got in trouble." She cries, struggling to get her words out as she sniffles.

"Okay." I say gently as I pat her back. "It's okay, I promise." I know that whatever happened, she thinks it isn't okay. I also know that she's three and things as small as a blueberry send her whole world in a spiral. So whatever is wrong, I'm sure it's okay.

"What happened?" I ask.

I feel Alyssa's hot tears through my shirt as her face is pressed against my shoulder while she cries. Her chest puffs up and down harshly because her breath is staggered. Instead of saying anything, she just decides to lay her head down again and cry harder.

"You're going to be alright."

"I-I-I..." She tries to explain, but between the gasping for air and sniffling she can't get anything out.

"Calm down, you're okay. I got you." I kiss her forehead as I soothingly rock our bodies side to side.

I take Alyssa to the kitchen and sit her on the counter while I get her some water.

"Lily?" I call her name.

She marches into the kitchen with her arms crossed

"She wrote on the wall!" Lily explains in a stern voice like she's mad at me too for some reason.

"Lily." I sigh. "You and I both know that it's just a wall. She's three."

To us, it's just a wall and the fact that Alyssa wrote on it doesn't matter, but to Alyssa, she thinks she's done something horrible and her little world is collapsing because her mom is upset with her.

"Exactly. She's three and she needs to know right from wrong. I'm not upset about a wall that I can paint over. I'm upset because I told her not to do it on several instances."

Alyssa sniffles and looks at Lily with her big, brown eyes. She has her chubby fingers wrapped around her glass of water and takes a deep breath to calm herself.