25

AUGUST

"What are you doing here, aren't you employed now?" I raise my eyebrows at Catalina who is twirling in the aisle with a basket full of cosmetics to restock.

"No. I'm taking time off. Tired of seeing Ashton's cheating face at work." She says. "Why are you here?"

"Im looking for a good pregnancy test for Lily."

"I still can't believe she has sex with you." Catalina rolls her eyes.

"Not helping the whole bitch thing that you're trying to work on." I raise my eyebrow. "And yes you can. I'm egregiously good looking."

Catalina sighs as she walks around me to the other side"Egregious for sure."                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

"She didn't tell you what kind to get?" She stops in the middle of the aisle when she sees me standing there looking at all of the options.

"She doesn't know I'm getting some."

"Then why are you?"

"She's been so moody. She's been mad at me for no reason for a week straight. That's definitely not her. I can't see why she wouldn't be pregnant, we've been trying for some time now." I start explaining as Catalina rakes her eyes over the pregnancy tests. "and she stopped taking the test a couple of weeks ago because she's giving up. I think she's pregnant though."

"Before I help you...." She turns to look at me. "Do you think Alyssa can come to Mahalia's birthday party?"

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Mahalia isn't very social in preschool settings, and Alyssa is so nice. I want my baby to have a friend."

"Fine. Yeah. Just text Lily."

"Great!" She grins. "I use these." She hands me a different one from the shelves.

"Okay." I nod and reach to grab one more. "What other kind do you think?"

"Are you serious?"

"We've been trying for months. If she's going to believe she's pregnant she's going to have to take more than one."

"Wow. she really likes you." Catalina narrows her eyes in suspicion.

"She's my wife. I mean....."

"Can't believe she has sex with you." Catalina shakes her head and mumbles it to herself in disbelief once again.

I scoff and stare at her. "Jealous?"

Catalina's face turns into a scowl before she turns to look at me with a deadpan expression. "Oh please. Take this and go." She aggressively pushes the pregnancy test against my chest.

"Thank you." I laugh.

"Shut up."

*******

Lily sits on the bed with her legs folded and the tv remote in her hands. Lately, her face seems to be stuck in an unwavering frown and I can't seem to do anything to change it. She always puts on a smile for Alyssa, but I can tell that most of the time it's fake and she's doing it because she feels like she has to. Lily is the sort of person who's had everything go well for them throughout life,she's smart, she's good at everything she does, so she sees her inability to get pregnant as a failure. She thinks something is wrong with her and somehow this is her fault.