Chapter four

Ax POV

We sat at a glass table with two guys also known as Danny and Mark, Haze's dads.

They both just stared at me making me feel slightly scared.

"So where are your parents?" Mark asked finally and I looked down at my hands.

"My mother was burned for having me when I was young and my father left one day a long time ago." Mark and Danny shared a look.

"What have you been eating all this time?" Danny asked in a soft voice.

"My dad taught me how to hunt animals," I tell them and Mark smiled.

"Well I guess you can stay here, but if you hurt either one of my kids I will kill you." He says coldly sending shivers down my spine.

"Miami doesn't know about us, let's keep it that way. So it'll be best if you don't tell her about yourself either." He said sternly.

"Here," Danny said handing me a small thingy and I opened one of the little compartments to see a small little blue circle. 

"Contacts." Haze said and Danny smiled.

"Just until you learn  to change them on your own." He said and I nod turning to Haze.

He was just so amazing. Warm, caring, and sweet. 

Now, what in the birdseed is a contact?

"Don't worry I'll help you out?" He said and I smile.

"You'll be starting school with Haze and Miami, our daughter. They'll always be food here so no hunting things or people. The world isn't as violent anymore so you won't be burned at the stake but try to keep a low profile." Mark told me and I nodded even though I had never hurt anyone.

"There's a room next door to Haze's you can use, But while Mark is setting it up you can talk things over with Haze." He said and I nod 

"Danny I'm getting slightly annoyed with you volunteering me to do the work you don't want to," Mark said and Danny stood.

"Yeah, you knew I was like this and still married me." He said kissing my head.

"Come on one Ax." Haze said standing me and I smile standing and following him back upstairs.

I stopped at Haze's door and he offered me a smile.

"Thank you, Haze," I say and he only looks up at me.

"For what?" He asked and I rest my head on his.

"For letting me into your family," I tell him and his smile widened.

"You're welcome." He says and I nod.

I hug him and his heart begins to race, but he only hugs me back.

Maybe it wasn't fear that made his heart race.

Maybe it was like in the books I read, where loved made them beat faster.

So did that mean he loved me? Had someone actually loved me?

I was happy here and I would do everything I could to stay. 

*

I woke up to an unfamiliar yet highly annoying noise. It was like a cross between a bird and a screaming dear. 

I opened my eyes.

I had never slept in such a soft bed and it was ruined by the strange screaming thing.

I stood up stretching before leaving the room and shutting the door.

"Haze," I say knocking on the door.