Chapter two

Ax's POV

I walked through the woods, the silence was deafening.

I never liked the silence, they always seemed to come when it was silent.

The only sound came from the ground when I stepped on the fallen leaves that stripped the trees and leaving nothing beyond the bare white bark.

I hated being alone.

The silence was just another of the many voices to remind me how much I was hated. How much I was looked down upon, how much the people I once called humans acted like animals.

But I'm the monster.

As though my thoughts had opened a door the voices were back.

They swirled around in my head and broke me in record time as I fell to the ground covering my ears.

You are a monster.

Know that you're hated.

They only want to see you on a burning stake.

Fear has forced you into these woods, into silence.

What place in society could you possibly hold?

They hate you, loath you. They want you dead!

Don't act like a victim,

Know your place!

I buried my head in the dirt and tears begin to stream down my face. My head exploded with all the hate they had convinced me to feel.

I begin to sob as the voices swarmed me completely and the weight of my own self-hate. Until something hit me before landing on top of me.

I sat up and I'm not sure if it was fear or joy but the moment I met the eyes of the person on top of me the voices stopped. He instantly moved and landed next to me as fear filled his eyes and the sound of running approached along with the three teens.

"Would you look at that, the school bum met an actual bum." The first guy laughed and I looked at them.

Then they instantly fell silent as fear replaced the laughter in their eyes.

My stomach growled and I know my fangs had begun to grow.

Seconds later they were tripping over themselves trying to get away and then the silence returned.

Just then there was a shift on the leaved filled ground and I turned to see that the first teen that had tripped over me.

He sat up and sighed softly before turning to me.

Then panic shot through his eyes.

"Oh I'm sorry for kicking you, are you alright?" He asked and I stare deeply into his beautiful eyes that were blue with deep amber.

"Oh, it's OK," I tell him and he smiled, he smiled at me.

I only smiled back.

His eyes moved from mine to my mouth and I instantly slammed them closed.

He saw my fang, he would know what I was and he would be afraid, he would leave.

I was sure he would run but he only smiled a little more.

"You have the most beautiful smile." He said and I was sure my heart fluttered.

"I'm Haze." He said softly and I look back into his beautiful eyes.

"I'm, Um Ax," I said and he chuckled slightly.

"Are you sure?" He said and suddenly his heart begins to race.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I said and his heart begins to quicken more.

"I'm going to go," I tell him getting up, this moment ending like all the others with me scaring them away and being alone.

I was a monster.

"Hey wait." He said and I turned around.

"You wouldn't, uh, know how to get out of these woods." He said looking down at his hands.

"Yeah, just keep straight that way," I told him pointing to the edge of the small forest.

"Um, can you show me?" He asked turning a slight color of red.

"Are you sure?" I ask and he smiled a little more before nodding.

I only smiled before standing up and holding out my hand for his, which he took to my delight.

"Let's go." He said and I nodded.

We walked for only a few moments before he shoved his hands in his pockets looking forward.

"Where did you live?" He asked and I looked up.

This was small talk, right? I was having small talk!

"What?" He asked giggling slightly and I realized I was smiling extremely hard.

"Nothing, I've lived in these woods ever since I can remember," I told him.

"What about your parents?" He asked.

"They died, my mother was a human and was burned at the stake, and my father just left. But that was a long time ago, I've been on my own from when I was nine." I told him honestly and sadness filled his eyes.

"Well, why don't you come home with me?" He said and I felt my body stiffen at the suggestion.

"Really? Can I!" I say before realizing I couldn't.

"I can't, people won't want me a part of their society. They won't accept my kind. Not like you." I say and he only begins to smirk.

"Not if they don't know." He said and I point to my bright red eyes.

"Have you ever heard of contacts?" He asked and I'm only confused.

"Like touching?" I ask and he smiled.

"They can change the color of your eyes if you wear them." He said and I look away as we made it to the edge of the woods.

There were only people from this point on, people that would hate me, want me dead, hunt me, and hurt those who I cared about.

He noticed my hesitance and took my hand in his and his heart began to race.

Why was he being so nice if I was only scaring him? Why was he pretending like he wanted to be around me?

I pulled my hand away and sadness filled his eyes filling with the pain I didn't quite understand.

"You're scared of me," I whisper and he looked at me.

"No." He says seeming kind of shocked and I pull my hand away from his.

"Every time I get close to you, your heart starts to race. When human's heart races that means they're scared." I tell him remembering one of the few lessons my mother taught me.

He only begins to turn that same bright color of red.

"It isn't fear, it's well, it's different." He says looking away.

"Oh," I say and he takes my hand again, his heart starting to race in a not fear kind of way.

"Let's just get home before my parents start a search party."

We began to walk more when I was suddenly captured by something beautiful. A large beautiful ball of light in the sky.

"Uh," I say completely stunned.

"Have you never seen the moon?" He said and I only stare mesmerized.

"When I was younger my mother would sometimes take us out to see it, but it was never this big, and I haven't left my cave since then, only to hunt," I tell him and he nodded.

"Well, it's officially my job to show you this big amazing world." Haze said smiling that wide beautiful smile that made me feel all tingly.

I only looked at our intertwined hands. I really hope that he doesn't become afraid of me.