Chapter five

Haze's POV

I rolled over in my bed and opened my eyes to the shining light of my window.

It had been a while since I had slept and even longer that I totally didn't regret waking up.

I only turn over to see Ax laying next to me and I smile.

"Hi." He says and I smile.

"Hi." I greet and he stands showing off he was wearing some of Mark's old clothes.

"They're your dad's!" He says excitedly and smiling widely. 

"Do we get to go to school now?" He said sounding like an excited little kid.

"Nope, it's the weekend," I say and the joy drains from his crimson eyes.

"Weekend?" He asked sounding slightly confused.

"Yeah us normal kids ger two days off out of the week to rest our fried brains," I say and he smiled disappointedly.

Looking at him, he looked so much like a young Mark.

Last night I couldn't help but think about my life with them, I went so long never having a reason to not trust them and I still didn't and I didn't know if I should.

I wasn't questioning whether or not I was safe with them and it worried me. I was ok with it and I didn't know why.

They were always my dads and I still now only saw them as so.

"Hey, do you want to walk around town with me?" I asked and his eyes once again lit up.

"But first, contacts," I say holding up the container.

He only smiled for just long enough to learn what they were.

"So you expect me to put plastic in my eyes." He says and I sigh. We had been having this conversation for what felt like an hour.

"It's not plastic," I say and he turns his back to me like a stubborn child.

"Not gonna happen." He says folding his arms.

He was an actual child. A six-four mountain of a child.

"OK, guess you don't want to go," I said but he stayed facing the wall.

"Nope." He answers.

"Or eat candy," I say and he turns his head to me.

"Candy?" 

"Oh, t's just a sweet treat us, humans, like. There's gotta be thousands of different kinds. Chocolate, gummy, hard, anything you can think of." He only turns fully around to face me.

"Like Kisses." He says once again happy.

"Yep and so much more." 

He looks as if he was battling some self-conflict before smiling. 

"I'll use the little plastic eye changers." He says and I laugh.

"Ok come here." I say patting the bed next to me and he sits next to me." 

"Now open your eyes, you'll probably have to use your fingers to keep them open," I say taking one on the edge of my finger.

He only leans closer and I just stare into those beautiful crimson eyes.

"In books, the is where the two characters kiss. When they're so close to feeling the other's breath of their lips." He says and I look away as my heart does a backflip.

"Uh, I guess," I say before putting it in his eye.

"I want to kiss you."  He says and I could feel my heart start to race as I try my best to focus on the contact box.