Chapter Eight

Months later (by this I mean two months) we went public and our reputation skyrocketed. People were still scared of Val but he had become much more mellowed out. Although sometimes he still had his moments and so did I. Even if we were calm most of the time, tons of Killjoys came to watch us in Drac fights. We gained a reputation for being an extremely ruthless couple towards dracs in the zones. People also loved to tell the one story of how this one young eager killjoy tried to fight Val for a place as leader of the Ultra V's after we took him in for a few days. He wouldn't leave us alone after we let him loose. He either wanted Val's place or me? Or both, we'd never fucking know. He was always looking for a fight, out of pretty much anything. Val and I finally had to face him but the outcome wasn't exactly pretty. People loved to tell this story and it spread like wildfire. Especially since we were a new couple on the scene. Everyone in our zone showed up to watch this. Yet I knew Val was going to win. At least that was until the young killjoy (mind you we took him in for a few days but he grew jealous of Val, that's how this whole thing started) but he hit him in a place that was still healing from Kobra months earlier. He ended up falling on the ground and wincing in pain eventually passing out. I knew the fight wasn't fair anymore, so I jumped out and stood over him. I screamed as I raised my gun to the young man's head. I say that as if he wasn't any younger than Val and I. Regardless, everyone around gasped as I stood over Val with anger and defense. I screamed as I raised my gun to the young man's head. I say that as if he wasn't any younger than Val and I. Regardless, everyone around gasped as I stood over Val with anger and defense.

"You take one more step, I shoot." I said.

Of course he didn't think I was serious, but he found out quickly that I wasn't fucking around. He proceeded to try and get more hits on Val but I fired my gun.

Not enough to kill him, but the shot clipped his arm. "Fucking hell, what the fuck?"

I warned you. The crowd was silent as I kept my eyes locked on the young man. I think that was the moment my reputation for myself grew.

"Do it again, I DARE YOU." I said, almost wishing he did.

He wasn't giving up and went again but this time I aimed closer to his chest. The shot clipped his side and he fell on the ground also wincing in pain. I walked up to him, grabbed him by his hair, pulled his head back, and aimed the gun under his chin.

"I WILL kill you. One more try and it will be your last fight." I urged with the gun pressing on his neck.

Val then opened his eyes and sat up, "V.. that's enough. Let him go, come on, we can finish this when I'm better."

I still held the gun under his chin as I let him stand. "Leave."

"Ugh, fine I'll leave him alone for now, but I'll be back and better." The man said as he stumbled to get up and walked away.

I didn't take my eyes off him until he was out of sight. Then tended to Val to make sure he was ok. He was fine, but he looked at me with concern.

"Sweetheart don't become what I once was." Val said, looking at me gently.

"Val, he was going to kill you. I had no choice. I can't lose you." I replied.

Val sighed as he took my hand, "Just don't confuse anger with protectiveness."

I nodded, "I'll do my best."

Well unfortunately, it wasn't even three months after the first fight that the man came back. He wasn't even a proper killjoy yet. Had no killjoy name and just went by his Battery City issued one. Val and I didn't want to fight but he was harassing all of our friends asking for us. Word got out and people started showing up daily to see if the fight would be that day. Eventually we had to give in. The man walked up to the door and banged on it several times. We both looked at each other and then to the rest of the Ultra V's. We all agreed that today was the day. So Val went to open the door and I went to go with him but was dragged away by Vinyl. He told me to just stay out of their way for a second, and I listened. I wanted to see how Val would handle this.