Chapter Two

The twins spent all last night helping me with understanding my feelings. Obviously I had to learn a few since emotions were fairly new to me overall. I then explained earlier things and how I was feeling, they gave me the right words for said emotions. I was thankful I found some people willing to help me. Kinda would've been fucked otherwise. After a few hours of that, they started to discuss a different topic. They told me they'd help me understand my "role" if I could even stick to one. They explained with my skill set that Val saw it would be hard to even categorize me in one place. Volume was the most logical and a good planner, Vinyl was the one who beat Dracs up and of course helped fight, the twins had the best sense of fashion and direction. They also helped with fights but they didn't prefer it. Val was the best shooter and the leader of course. So I felt like there was really no place for me in the group except for the fact my name did start with "V."

"Uh, so what do I do? You guys seem to have everything you need." I asked.

"Not everything, we could always use more shooters! How good are you?" Vaya replied.

I smiled, "Actually my..." I paused realizing that my father was no longer part of my life. I wasn't about to cry here though. It wasn't the time or place. So I continued. "My dad got me a job in Battery City which was protecting the building he worked in. So I guess you could say I have experience."

"Oh sweet, you must have a good aim! We'll put you at the front lines with Val. Of course we must ask him first but I think you two are our best chances." Vamos said.

I agreed and was excited to start shooting shit, but alongside Val? I had a gut feeling something was gonna happen and it made me uneasy. I wasn't going to say anything though, I knew I had to protect everyone in this group since they were nice enough to let me join in the first place.

Vaya then turned to look at Vamos who nodded, "Um, listen, we've noticed you have made a really big impact on Val. We know you don't know him as well as we do but we'll help you. We both... actually the entire group just thinks you need to be around him. He's never let anyone stay in our base, never been nice(ish) to anyone not in our group, and he's never just let anyone join. Something about you has him very intrigued, we don't know what, but you need to be around him. He has anger issues and paranoia. When those mix he ends up making stupid mistakes."

"Oh shit." I replied as I bit my lip. Everything made sense now.

Vaya sighed, "Yeah, I just think you could help him calm down if he needed to or something, you know what I mean? You have more skills than that, Val saw that but we also think you could help him otherwise."

I knew what they were asking. Being friends with Val wasn't going to be easy but without my help they could be put in more danger. So I nodded and smiled, "I'd be happy to help, but what kind of mistakes did Val make? I'm just gonna need a quick run down of his personality and shit."

The twins went on to explain the countless accidental murders he happened to be a part of. I was surprised and angry at first, but with each story I began to realize how the twins told these with ease and how no one seemed to mind. I thought about it and realized that murder isn't really a big deal out here. Yes it's still awful, but what could you do when fighting for your life? No matter if they're innocent or not. No one ever truly knows out here because people don't have the resources to figure that out. Unlike Batt City which had tons of spy technology and tons of other ways to get information secretly. So in that way, I understood him and knew he was just TRYING to protect his group. I knew his paranoia and whatnot had an effect too, but I didn't take that into consideration for now. After at least 10 different stories I started to realize Val was just misunderstood and had other issues too. It wasn't fair to him that he got blamed for a lot just because he was trying his best. When you're the leader of a group all you wanna do is protect them and keep them close. It wasn't an easy job, not even in Battery City. The more I thought about it that way, I began to feel sympathy for him. It was at that moment I knew I had to make people see him differently. His life was going to be a living hell if I didn't.

"Oh and don't talk to him about the Fab Four, they get him worked up. He's jealous of them and wants to be Party Poison, anything related to them he hates." Vamos added.

I was lost in thought, "Oh shit sorry... What about the Fab Four? I've heard of them and know their names but..."

"Just don't mention them to Val... we sneak out every now and then to see them! Poison has a little reputation out here as we all should know." Vaya explained again.

I playfully rolled my eyes. Even I knew this, he was the TALK of a lot of people back in the city. "Oh, he sounds like he's the type to know a lot of people and just be the light of a good party. Well, his name gives it away I suppose."

"Don't worry, once you meet him, I think he's gonna like you. Just as we did! We thought you were really cool before even talking." Vamos replied as the twins led me out of their room. "Also, just remember to be patient with Val, sorry we're throwing this all on you. You've barely even been out here."

"Oh it's ok, it's a nice distraction if I'm being completely honest. Anyway, of course..." I replied.

I then walked out to the main room where the three guys stood looking at me. "What?"

"Nothing, we're just not used to having anyone but each other around." Vinyl said.

I shrugged as I sat down on the couch as the twins joined me. Continuing to explain the lifestyle out here.

Vinyl then walked back to his room, giving Val a slight shove as he did so.

"Fuck off." Val mumbled.

Vinyl snickered and left. Val sighed but then moved over to me, looking right into my eyes.

"Are you gonna keep staring at me or are you going to show me where I can sleep?" I asked, forgetting I had to actually be nice to him.

"Damn. First of all I'm going to need you to settle down, next I'm going to have you follow me." Val replied.

I nodded but was suspicious. People said those words in the city too. Usually led to something else which I was always prepared for. Being a woman was hard enough, I didn't need this.

Val led me to a large room with a decent bed. "This is my room but you can have it for now. I'll take the couch out in the main area of the base."

I gasped, "Val you didn't have to, I'll take the couch. Please I don't want you to..."

"Stop, it's yours. I'll be fine." Val replied.

I groaned, "Ugh but this is your base I feel like a dick taking your shit."

Val once again came up to me and towered over me, I could see his eyes clearly now. They were truly a pretty sky blue. I tried not to be intimidated this time so I stood on my top toes and was nearly inches away from his face at this point. Val then leaned in closer trying to get me to stand down but I wasn't having it. I stood my ground and gave him a small smile.

Val then went to touch my waist but I wasn't letting that happen. I quickly spun around pulling out my gun in the process. "Woah easy... I was just-"

I sighed, "Sorry, I..."

Val went up to me again but slowly, "Hey, don't worry about it. I know about what people sometimes do to girls in the city. I'm sorry I shouldn't have acted so quickly. Forgot you were new for a minute."

"No, don't worry about it. I've never experienced it, but that's the one thing I fear." I replied.

Val's expression changed to a more gentle one, "Well I won't do it again, but anyone tries to pull this shit let me know. I won't stand for that here in my group."

I smiled, thankful that even with his attitude and whatnot. He still cared in that sense. "Thank you Val..."

"You're welcome..." Val said as he left and closed the door.

I did a sharp inhale as Val left. I let it go once I sat down trying to decompress from that situation. It was only my second day and the many feelings I had already were overwhelming. I knew I had to get over it quickly though, I had my third day ahead of me and training to do. So I quickly nested myself into the bed and went right to sleep.