Twenty Six: Unmasked

- Summary: Ah, look at the time, I think we'll loose the mask now -

News flash: Falling out of a tree with a kid on your back hurt.

"Shit!"

Kage groaned, rolling over to make sure Kota had landed alright. The kid was already on his feet, staring down worriedly at the vigilante, who was still lying on the ground. With a grunt, Kage pushed himself to his feet, wobbling a little. He placed a hand to his side, trying to feel how his rib damage was coming. Ouch. Ok, not good then.

Suddenly, a sound jolted Kage out of his thoughts. He turned just in time to catch the capture scarf that was flying towards him. He winced, releasing his grip. That had been his bad arm. Great.

Figures appeared from the trees, about six in total. Most of them looked like kids, but one was tall, with his hair floating up around his head and his eyes blazing. Aizawa. When the hero recognized him, he dropped his guard a little, letting his hair lie flat again. He walked forward, trying to get a good look at the kid.

"Problem child, what happened? Where did you go?"

Kage tried to steady his breathing, making sure he didn't let any pain seep into his voice.

"I had a kid to save." He reached behind him and nudged Kota forward, who had been hiding behind the vigilante during the exchange. The kid looked uncertain about the teacher, but after a nod from Kage, he stepped closer.

"Ok. I can take him back to Mandalay. You should try to get back to amp, you look terrible."

"No." Kage hadn't meant to snap, and it seemed to confuse Aizawa. The vigilante took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. 

"No. I need to find Bakugo." 

Aizawa looked confused for a moment, but then understanding crossed his face. Of course, he knew that Kage had known his student.

"Fine. But be careful. How hurt are you?"

"Um, not badly?"

"Problem child-"

"Fine. Four cracked ribs, a sprained wrist, maybe a broken arm. So normal."

Aizawa looked like he wanted to argue, but he didn't. "Ok. Can you at least escort these kids to camp while you're looking for your friend?"

Kage nodded, turning to the five students as Aizawa picked Kota up. The vigilante recognized Uraraka, Tsu, Kirishima, Mina, and Kaminari. Great, so literally all of his friends. Luckily, he had pulled his hood low over his eyes, praying that the darkness of the night would help disguise his features. It seemed to be working, as none of the students looked like they recognized him.

"Ok, let's go. Stay close."

As he turned, Kage winced at the sound of his own voice. It sounded like he had been gargling with gravel. At least it didn't sound like his normal voice. The students followed close behind him as they made their way quickly through the forest, searching for any sign of-

An explosion ripped through the night. Then, a cold breeze blew through Kage's hair, making him reach up instinctively to grip the edge of his hood. So that way then.

Kage took off running, hearing the pants of the students behind him as they tried to keep up. The group rounded a corner, only to come face to face with Todoroki and a villain. A ground was covered in ice, and Kage tread carefully as he walked up to stand next to the boy. 

"What happened?"

The sharp words seemed to snap Todoroki out of whatever stupor he had been in. He turned slightly to see Kage standing beside him. Then he nodded towards the villain.