Forty: Next in Line

- Summary: I lied, it never gets better -

Kage dropped the two halves of the cookie to the ground, watching as it too disintegrated. Eri was still sitting on the ground, sobbing silently, surrounded by dust. Dust that had once been Kage's friend. 

Suddenly, Kage felt the ground rumble under him. He tried to get to his feet, get into a fighting stance. He couldn't sit here being an easy target. Before he could move out of the way though, a rock spire shot out the ground in front of him, aimed straight at his chest. 

This was it. He was about to die. 

A figure leaped in front of him, taking the spear straight to the heart. Kage gasped, stepping back as Mirio fell to the ground, coughing up blood. No. Not him too. Kage dropped to his knees next to the third year, trying to help him.

But the moment the vigilante saw the wound in Mirio's chest, he knew there was nothing he could do. The hole that the spire had left gaped open, blood spilling out over the blonde's hero costume. And somehow, Mirio was still. Smiling. Blood trickling from his mouth, down his chin. Blood pooling on the ground underneath him. Blood everywhere.

Not again. Not someone else. 

Why can't it just have been me?

Mirio squeezed Kage's hand, getting the vigilante's attention. 

"You know about... One for All... right?"

Mirio's voice was slurred, his eyes slowly losing focus. No. He had to stay conscious. Kage nodded, gently shaking the third year's shoulder to keep him awake.

"Ya. Ya, I know."

Mirio smiled wider. "I saw you that day, up in the tree. I was worried you might tell someone, but I shouldn't have been. You'll make a great hero, you know."

Before Kage knew what was happening, Mirio had pressed his bloodied hand to a small cut on Kage's arm. The vigilante's eyes widened as the blood mingled, Mirio's blood making it's way into his veins.

Then the power came rushing in. 

Kage felt it even before the green lightning started flickering over his body. But why? Why would Mirio give this power to him? He didn't deserve it. He had let two of his closest friends die, and he hadn't been able to stop it. He had let his own mother die without being able to stop it. How could he become a hero?

Mirio must have seen the turmoil in Kage's eyes, because his bright smile turned comforting, his eyes becoming more and more unfocused. 

"Don't worry. You can become a great hero. I believe in you."

Then he was gone.

Le Million was dead, and Izuku Midoriya had the strongest quirk in history.

................................................................................................................................................

(A/N) DUDE I was gonna wait and post this tomorrow, but I couldn't help myself, so here, have some  p a i n . Anyways, um, I'm sorry, don't kill me please.

Notice any mistakes? Please let me know here!

Want to know when the story gets updated? Want someone to talk to? The Discord server is linked in my bio! Come talk with me!

Girls, gays, theys, Doge, I bid you all adieu.

I'm gonna go cry now.