Twenty Eight: Misstep

- Summary: It's time bois -

The group took the subway into battle.

Jack had sent Izuku the location, so now they were on their way to Kamino, riding an empty subway train in complete silence, everyone lost in their own thoughts. Mei had shown up right on time with all of his prepped gear, but he still felt antsy. If this failed, if something happened to one of the students- he would never be able to forgive himself. 

So he wouldn't let anything happen. He felt his resolve harden as that thought took precedence in his mind. He would do whatever was necessary to protect the others. If that meant he would die, then he would die. After all, he had been wanting to say hi to his mom.

The subway jerked to a stop and the doors rolled open. The four of them - Izuku, Iida, Todoroki, and Kirishima - walked out quickly, heading up the stairs and into the middle of the city district. It was bright and noisy, and all of it hurt the green haired boy's head. Iida was walking next to him as they headed towards their destination, and he kept repeating the same thing over and over.

"I am only here to make sure you don't get into trouble. I am only here to make sure you don't get into trouble. I am-"

You get the idea. Izuku figured that Iida was trying harder to convinced himself of this than the rest of the group. 

The rounded a corner and there it was. An abandoned looking bar, out of place among the noise and lights of Kamino. Izuku started creeping slowly towards the side of the building, motioning for the others to follow. When they were behind a short wall, Izuku crouched down and sent a quick message to Jack. This next part was going to be tricky. 

But all Izuku could do for now was wait.

.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-.

He had been right there.

Deku- his Deku- had been right there. 

And Bakugo hadn't been able to reach him. 

And now he was sitting in an abandoned bar in god knows where, staring at a blank wall. The villains had given up on trying to convince him to join them a while ago, leaving him to sit uncomfortably in a chair with nothing to do but stare at a boring wall.

And think.

Bakugo didn't much like being alone with his thoughts. Normally because they were angry, but right now because they were a torrent of emotions too numerous to count. He could make out sadness and worry and guilt. A lot of guilt. Honestly, the blonde probably would have drowned in a tsunami of guilt by now. If the door on the far end of the room hadn't creaked open.

Bakugo whipped his head around, narrowing his eyes at the newcomer. He wasn't a villain that he recognized. He had dark brown hair that fell around his face in curls, and when he glanced up, his eyes were a warm green. 

"What are you-"

The man made a shushing gesture, quickly stepping forwards towards Bakugo. He started removing the restraints from the blonde with deft fingers, getting them undone in a matter of seconds. Then he straightened, nodding towards the door.

Bakugo stood slowly. Clearly, this man wasn't going to attack him. But then why was he here? Wasn't he a villain? He had to be, otherwise he would be dead by now. But when Bakugo looked him in the eyes, all the blonde saw there was worry and a hint of tiredness. 

The man had obviously grown impatient. He placed a hand on Bakugo's shoulder, steering him towards the door. A man was leaning in the hallway on the other side, staring straight at them. He had wavy black hair that was parted to the side so it fell over his eyes. His skin seemed almost translucent, occasionally letting Bakugo see right through to his bones.

Instead of raising some sort of alarm, the man in the hallway, waved them away, following behind closely. Bakugo got the strange sense that he was being ushered around by security guards, the brunette walking right in front of him and the dark haired man bringing up the rear. 

They made it to another door without incident, and the brown haired man pushed it open, revealing a dark night sky and-

Izuku, standing in the open, a hood pulled up over his hair and a normal mask on his face. His eyes gleamed a bright green, and when they seemed to widen a fraction when they saw Bakugo. When all three of them were out the door, Izuku strode forward, pulling the mask off his face. His eyes passed right over the blond, coming to rest on the brunette instead.

"You should come with us. It already isn't safe for you three here, and if they find out who let him go-"

The brown haired man was shaking his head, watching Izuku sadly.

"You know we can't do that, Izu. As long as we can still be helpful, you better believe we're going to be."

Izuku's expression looked torn. "Suke," he tried, keeping his voice steady, "please. I can't- I can't lose you guys to." When the brunette - Suke - didn't say anything, Izuku turned on the black haired man, green eyes pleading. "Jack, please. You have to try and convince him that this is stupid. You can't stay here. They're going to kill you!"

Jack nodded, frowning in Suke's direction. "Do you think I don't know that? Sometimes I feel like Suke gave me a little too much of his intelligence. I don't think this is a good idea either, but I can't exactly leave the other two. And before you ask," he said, cutting Izuku off before he could speak, "Tresh agrees with him."

He jerked his thumb in Suke's direction, grumbling something about idiots with no self preservation. Izuku sighed, stepping back.

"Fine. But promise me that if you ever need my help, you'll call me. And don't you dare die on me, you little shits. Got it?"

Jack scoffed before nodding, turning to reopen the door. But the handle was already being turned, pulled on by someone from the inside. The group stood frozen as the door swung open, revealing the Toga girl and the tall fire guy- Dabi, if Bakugo remembered right.

Dabi frowned at the four of them, his hands lighting up with blue fire.

"Aw, leaving so soon? But we were just getting started."

...............................................................................................................................

(A/N) Sup broskis. Happy New Year I guess. So this is two days late, sorry about that, but I hope you like it anyways. I feel like I need to explain something: I'm gonna be pretty busy until Tuesday. Does that mean that I won't be able to get any chapters out in that time? I don't know. We'll just have to see. But if you want to stay updated on when a chapter comes out, I suggest (shameless plug alert) joining the discord server. The link is in my bio, come talk to me, I get lonely. 

Notice any mistakes? Please let me know here! ->

Girls, gays, theys, Doge, I bid you adieu.