Forty Two: Haze

- Summary: throws this at you and runs -

"You don't appear to have any injuries, either external or otherwise." The doctor eyed Kage's upper body with suspicion, eyes following the lines of scars on the vigilante's arms and chest. "But these scars are strange. How did you say you got them again?"

"Iz- Kage, we need you. Now."

Aizawa poked his head through the door into the vigilante's hospital room. Kage put his shirt back on quickly, giving the doctor a small nod before following Aizawa out of the room.

"Where are we going?"

Aizawa's gaze was far away, as if he was thinking about something else. Probably everything that had happened earlier. The hero blinked, pulling himself back to the present.

"To Nighteye's room. He wanted to see you for some reason."

Kage nodded, wondering why Nighteye would want to see him specifically. The vigilante couldn't remember ever having had even a single conversation with the grumpy hero. Why would he want to see him?

"How are the others doing?"

"Kirishima, Fat Gum, and Tamaki made it out with minimal damage. Bakugo had some minor wounds, but he'll be fine after a few days. Nejire, Tsu, Uraraka, and Rock Lock are all ok. As for the others..."

Aizawa's voice trailed off, and Kage's heart sank. Had no one else made it? 

"What about Eri?"

Aizawa seemed to leap at the chance to change the subject. "Eri is in a comatose state. Her quirk has been having trouble, and I've been helping as much as I can." 

The teacher pushed open a door off the hall they had been walking down, entering the room beyond. Kage followed slowly, noticing the only other person in the room. 

All Might was standing by the head of Nighteye's bed, in his shrunken form and with his head low. When Aizawa walked into the room, All Might glanced up for a second before turning his attention back to his old side kick.

Nighteye was dying.

Kage knew that the moment he saw the man. He was lying in a hospital bed, medical equipment strapped to every inch of his stomach and chest. The large rock spear that had impaled him was still stuck through his middle. It was too big of a wound to heal. 

"You're here."

Kage glanced up, seeing Nighteye's eyes on him. Slowly, the vigilante walked forwards so he was standing next to All Might. 

"Ya. I'm here. Why did you want to see me, Sir?"

Nighteye coughed, a little bit of blood coming out of his mouth. 

"I wanted to ask about Mirio."

A pit grew in Kage's stomach, consuming him. So Nighteye knew then that Mirio was dead?

"How is he?"

The vigilante froze. So he didn't know. 

"Um, well." Was it really worth it to lie to the man? Kage didn't want to send him to his grave with the knowledge that his sidekick was already dead. Stealing his nerves, the vigilante made up his mind. 

"He's doing just fine."

Nighteye smiled sadly. 

"Thank you."

Then his eyes closed, and he flat lined. 

Kage and the two heroes with him were rushed out of the room, a group of doctors running in. But the vigilante knew it was too late. He was already gone. 

No one else. You said there would be no one else. 

You failed. 

You failed them all.

Why should you get to live? 

Didn't they deserve to live? What makes you so special?

"Izuku? Are you-"

"I have to go."

A quickly as he could, Kage ran through the hospital. He found a back door that lead into a side alley and stumbled out, breathing heavily. Ripping off his mask, the vigilante pulled his grappling hook from where it still hung on his belt, aiming and shooting it up to the top of the roof. Before he could press the button to retract it however, someone spoke behind him.

"So that's it then? You're just gonna run away?"

Izuku turned slowly around the see Bakugo standing in the doorway back into the hospital. His arm and chest were bandaged under his t-shirt, and his expression was unreadable.

"Please. Just let me leave. I can't- I failed them. I-"

"Shut up." Kacchan's voice wasn't as harsh as Izuku would have expected. "Whatever you try to say, I know that if I let you leave right now, I'm never going to see you again. And I already said I wasn't going to let you go again."

The grappling hook slipped from Izuku's hand and he crumpled to the ground, breaking down. Tears rolled down his face as his body shook with silent sobs.

Then, suddenly, warm arms wrapped around him, pulling him into a hug. Izuku blinked, taking in the familiar scent of his old friend. Why was Kacchan hugging him?

In the moment though, it didn't even matter. Izuku clung to Bakugo, letting all the emotions he had been bottling up for four years come spilling out. 

"I never told you how sorry I was." Bakugo's voice held so much pain. Izuku couldn't understand it. "For all the things I said and did."

"Izuku, I'm so sorry."

.........................................................................................................................................

(A/N) Hehehe, that hug has been stewing in my head for months even before I had any idea that I was gonna write this. I hope you like it, I felt like throwing in a bit of fluff with all the angst I've been giving you guys.

Notice any mistakes? Please let me know here!

Want to know when the story gets updated? Want someone to talk to? The Discord server is linked in my bio! Come talk with me!

Girls, gays, theys, Doge, I bid you all adieu again.

*sobs*