Thirty Nine: Rock Bottom

- Summary: you can only go up from here -

Kage rushed forwards, grabbing Suke by the shoulders. 

The other heroes had engaged in combat with Overhaul, but to Kage it was all just background noise. He shook Suke, trying to get the brunette to look at him.

"Hey. Hey! Talk to me, Suke. Come on!"

"Izuku."

The voice cut through Kage's panic. He turned, looking past Suke at Jack, who was still holding Eri in his arms. But something was wrong. His normally pale face was now almost white, and the light in his eyes was dimming. 

No. 

No no no no.

Kage whirled around, looking for Thresh. The big guy was sitting on the ground, eyes wide as he watched his hands slowly turn to dust. This couldn't be happening. Kage turned back to Suke, unable to hide the rage in his voice.

"Why the hell did you do it? I could have done it, it should have been me! Look at them! You've sealed their fates!"

"Izuku, stop."

Jack's voice was final, but his eyes were sad. In his arms, Eri was still crying, silent tears rolling down her face. As Kage watched, Jack's legs started to disintegrate. The black haired man sunk to his knees, still not wanting to let go of Eri.

"Izuku, don't blame him. It as our choice too."

Thresh's voice was sad, but when Kage looked at him, the big man had a small smile on his face. 

"You forget that we can talk to each other in our heads." 

Oh. So they really had  been a part of this decision. Had they really chosen to die than to have Eri lose her quirk, though? Kage shook his head. Of course they had. He would have done the same thing, if he was in their shoes. 

"I'm so sorry."

Suke's voice was soft, full of sadness.

"I didn't know what else to do."

"It was worth it, though."

Thresh sounded certain, his voice not wavering a bit. "As long as we can save someone, it was worth it. I would say see you on the other side, but I don't actually know if summons get to go to heaven." 

Thresh was still smiling, but there were tears in his eyes as the last of his head disappeared. 

No. 

Kage turned back to Jack, who had carefully set Eri on the ground. The girl was still clinging to his disintegrating sleeve, crying. Jack glanced up, meeting the vigilante's eyes. He gave a small smile, inclining his head.

"It's been an honor, Kage."

Then, he too was gone. All that was left of Kage's friends were two piles of ash.

And a small fortune cookie, lying on the ground near Eri.

Slowly, with trembling hands, Kage picked it up and cracked it open.

It was completely empty.

.........................................................................................................................................

(A/N) I've been planning this chapter out for months, but oh my god I did not realize it was going to be this sad. Sorry that it's really short, but I wanted to make this part and the next part separate, to make the impacts harder. 

Notice any mistakes? Please let me know here!->

Want to know when the story gets updated? Want someone to talk to? The Discord server is linked in my bio! Come talk with me!

Girls, gays, theys, I bid you adieu.

Doge, I'm so sorry.