Kabanata 10

"What excuse do you have in mind, Levine?" Mei asked as they continue climbing up the wide staircase

"What excuse do you have in mind, Levine?" Mei asked as they continue climbing up the wide staircase. Ang matatalim na mga mata nito ay binigyan ng sulyap ang katabing lalaki. "Your job was to eliminate that man but you failed. The master won't accept a petty excuse."

Walang pag-aalalang tawa ang lumabas sa bibig ng lalaki. "I'll accept any form of punishment," he brushed the dust off his top hat as a carefree smile displayed on his lips. "Though I wouldn't really worry myself for such mild consequences."

Tumaas ang kilay ng babae pagkatapos niya itong lingunin. "What's with that confident attitude?" she glared. "You're aware that Yan Haines is one of the biggest hindrances the master wants to eliminate, correct? Master Algos could kil--"

"He won't." Lalong tumaas ang kilay ng dalaga sa pirming tono nito. Tumaas ang mga sulok ng labi ng lalaki as his gaze becomes sinister. "He still needs me. A cautious man like him wouldn't discard a useful piece as myself."

Ilang saglit na tinitigan ng babae ang mukha nito bago niya ibinalik ang kaniyang tingin sa pinakatuktok ng hagdanan. Her eyes squinched. It's annoying whenever he's right. "He still hates your personality though."

"Why? I'm such a lovable person." he laughed.

On top of the staircase they are climbing, a huge temple rests. Surrounded by nothing but the vast blue sky and nature as it sits at the crown of the rocky mountain. A temple wrapped in a frightening presence.

The hall is dark and cold. Huge pillars are alligned and statues of mythical dragons are displayed in different spaces. The only man in the silent room bathed in the eerie silence as his spine-chilling glare stare at the destroyed face of a God's statue placed above the enormous doors. Its features are no longer recognizable.

After a few moments, the peace was interrupted by the echoing noise of the opening door. Light slipped in through the gap along with the entering woman. Her heels clacked down the marbled floors of the spacious room. The man, sitting on the laid out palms of the giant statue, gazed down at the approaching servant with his usual dire eyes.

The servant kneeled on one knee as she hung her head low when she reached the front. "Sire, we've received reports from the chief," nanatiling tahimik ang lalaki habang nakasandal ang pisngi nito sa kaniyang kamao. Sweat trickled down her forehead because of his intimidating presence. Regardless, she continued. "A spy, working under Ezio Icarus, has been spotted a few days ago in the coastal area. But he has stated there is no need to worry. He has also confirmed..."

Unti-unting naglalaho ang boses ng babae sa pandinig ng lalaki. He holds no interests in the subject at noong makaramdam ito ng isang kakaibang atmospera, his attention was drawn to it. It was barely recognizable and sensible but it made him slightly lift his cheek from his fist. When he had his confirmation, the look in his eyes darkened as the sides of his lips descend in displeasure.