Kabanata 2

Isang linggo na ang lumipas mula noong magbukas ang paaralan para sa bagong school year

Isang linggo na ang lumipas mula noong magbukas ang paaralan para sa bagong school year. The school grounds was once more filled with carefree and smiling freshmen that just got in their dream school. Introducing themselves and meeting many people who can be their acquaintances or friends for the rest of their three years in the prestigious academy.

Ang iba ay pinapamilyar ang kanilang sarili sa mga hallways at buildings ng malaking paaralan. It's tiring to walk around all day but their seniors from their respective dormitories told them that it's necessary. Madalas mag-utos ang mga guro at mga kapitan ng mga bagay-bagay kaya mas mabuting kabisado na nila ang mga pasikot-sikot upang hindi sila magsayang ng oras sa kakahanap ng daan.

They don't have that much worries yet because it's still the first week of the school year but it's different for those graduating ones who has issues after their end-of-summer exam. They have no time to enjoy even a minute. The academy's system wasn't as lax as before after all.

"How many times do I have to tell you that we can't give you another test?" iritadong saad ng isang matandang guro habang nasa kaniyang tabi ang isang estudyanteng magalang na nakatayo. The old man tap his pointed finger on the paper on his desk, "We already have your scores in the combat and physical exams. We can't give you any do-overs, Alen."

The male student pursed his lips before he suddenly bowed his head, "Please, professor! I promise I'll give you a passing result! I won't fail again!" he clenched his hands on his sides and his eyes squinched in desperation. "I really want to graduate as a soldier, Sir. Please let me take the exams again."

Isang malalim na buntong-hininga ang narinig mula sa matandang lalaki. "Ilang beses ko bang uulitin para maintindihan mo? We don't give do-overs in combat exams to martial students." diin nito. Alen's hands clenched tighter with the fading hope. The old man continued with an irritated tone, "We have strict policies now unlike before. Can't you understand that? Tsk."

Hindi gumalaw sa kaniyang pwesto ang binata at nanatiling nakayuko. Ang mga guro na nasa opisina ay nagpapatuloy lamang sa pagtatrabaho. Nasa gano'ng sitwasyon ang binata noong kanilang marinig ang pagbukas ng sliding door ng opisina.

Alen gazed sideward and he watched as the silver-haired man walk inside casually without focusing on anyone. Hindi rin ito pinansin ng ibang mga guro at mukhang sanay na rin ang mga ito sa presensya ng kapitan. Ibinalik ni Alen ang kaniyang titig sa sahig noong muling nagsalita ang matanda.

"And why did you even choose the martial course anyway? You do know that you can't shift course in this academy and you are also aware that you have no skills in fighting, right? You got ahead of yourself, didn't you?" humarap ang matanda sa mga papel na nasa kaniyang lamesa ngunit nagpatuloy pa rin ang kaniyang mga salita. "You're also in the commons dormitory so there's no way that you can be guided in training except for your official combat class. Your excelium's level is also third-rate. You won't have any future even if you graduate. You thought that graduating from the martial course was easy? Ha. Kids and their carefree dreams."