Kabanata 23

Author: Hindi pa po ako deds, pls lang TT

-----

Bonzo's yellow orbs follow the moving barrel as it rolls according to the swaying of the ship. Ilang minuto na niya itong pinapanood mula sa loob ng kaniyang kuwadradong kulungan. Bonzo was getting tired of entertaining himself with the damn thing nang rumolyo ang bariles sa hagdan at kasabay no'n ay ang pagbukas ng maliit na pinto sa itaas nito.

A crewmate walked down the stairs with two small bowls in hand. He arrogantly approached Bonzo's cage and looked down at the seated prisoner who has his hands cuffed. Hawak ang pinggan ay inilusot ng crewmate ang kamay sa pagitan ng rehas at binitawan ang mangkok, making the porridge bounce off onto the floor.

Saglit na tinitigan ni Bonzo ang kalat bago niya iangat muli ang kaniyang mga mata sa crewmate. The man sneered at Bonzo whereas the latter rolled his eyes at the expected slow spilling of the water to the floor. The man teasingly tapped the bowl against the iron bars and then left sniggering. 

Nang sumara ang pinto ay tumayo si Bonzo at inunat ang likod. He groaned, "Two more weeks in this cramped thing. Geez." Ibinaba niya ang braso niya at inilagay ang dalawang kamay sa bewang. He then looked at the cage beside him. "You've been terribly quiet, hunger's getting to ya?"

Hindi siya nakarinig ng isang imik mula kay Zai. He stared at the back of Zai's head and looked away after sensing the eerie silence surrounding her. He then sighed, "Shit. Mukhang na-mi-miss ko na bunganga ni Shane."

Zai kept silent as she stare straight at the other side of the cage. She was in deep thought. Her eyes sharpened at the blurry memory of Ezio's smile before she lost consciousness back when they first met. It was hazy but she does remember the way he looked down on her.

Nagsimula niyang mapansin ang pagmamatiyag nito nang nagtagpo ang landas nila ng iba pang mga kapitan. It was barely noticeable since Heister kept a far distance but her guts were telling her that there is someone out there, at least not something hostile. 

It didn't seem to be from Shaera's side, Levine's, or any other country who got their hands full on themselves. It only led her to the suspicion that the silent king of Centrio might be behind it. Of course, it was ridiculous thinking at first, there are thousands of people out there after all. How could a man she never crossed paths with and someone who's behind bars be bothered with her? It was dubious but not impossible either. The other kings seem to hold him in high regard, and for a ruler to not have a loyal hand outside his prison, that's just quite funny to think.

Ezio is not trustworthy because even as a pawn he seems qualified to deliver himself at the end of the chessboard. They all witnessed that after the fight years ago. Ezio has no wounds on his body and he was standing at the end of it all, he definitely did something.

Zai clicked her tongue. No matter how tricky he is, he is not the biggest issue. Zai clenched her hand.

Umangat ang tingin ni Zai sa kisame ng makarinig siya ng malakas na kalabog. She then sighed and pushed herself off the floorboards.

Lumingon muli si Bonzo sa kasama dahil sa biglaang paggalaw nito. Using a spoon, she broke out of her cage, and Bonzo soon followed by kicking the entire side of the enclosure. "Why break out now? Malayo pa tayo sa Southernia."

Zai gave him a sideglance. "What? You follow his orders now? That breaks my heart." She sarcastically muttered without much expression habang naglalakad patungo sa hagdan. Her eyes wandered up to the noises on deck. "It cannot be helped that the idiot's patience is a child's."

Zai walked up the stairs and kept her eyes on the door. Zai was about to put her foot on the last step but she stopped when a blade penetrated the wood. Its blood-stained tip was a few centimeters away from her eye. The noises suddenly stopped and left them with a strange silence. Iginilid niya ang ulo niya at binuksan ang trapdoor.