Kabanata 22

The squawking of the seagulls were the only voices they could hear on the harbor. Hindi pa masyadong sumisikat ang araw pero naroon na sila't hinihintay ang chief ng Southernia. All of them are wearing stoic expressions except for Bonzo who's now having a big yawn.

Ero stood by Zai's side with his hands behind his back. He let out a sigh through his nose before he spoke as he stare forward. "It'll be long before we meet again. Surely, you don't sense my desperation?" He clicked his tongue. "We're you this dense?"

Zai didn't give an immediate reply. Her eyes are only focused on a group of approaching men from far away. Paunti-unti nang nagpapakita ang sinag ng araw at ilang saglit na lamang ay sasakay na sila sa malaking barko patungong timog. Ero sighed again when moments past and he still didn't get not a single sound from the girl. "Hey, y'know--"

"If you suddenly become a god, would you not change anything?" Zai suddenly blurted out. Nanatiling tahimik si Ero at hinayaan itong magpatuloy. "Suddenly giving you the power to actually do something, to make a change. Be able to lead the world to do better and good. I don't have that kind of motivation."

Ero opened his mouth. "Are you making me guess--"

"But Avis do." Ero stopped and looked at Zai beside him. Zai also turned her sharp eyes towards him, stared directly at his confused orbs, and repeated, "Avis do."

Bago pa makapagreact si Ero ay umiwas na ng tingin si Zai at naglakad paabante. Ezio was putting up a smile, about to greet the southern chief, when Zai suddenly walked passed him and marched straight to the bloated short man. Naalarma ang mga sundalong kasama ng hepe at kaagad na itinutok ang mga dalang baril sa babae but Zai remained unfazed and maintained her pace.

One guard shoot ngunit iniwas lamang ni Zai ang kaniyang ulo at nilagpasan siya. Zai only stopped when she was in front of the chief who's looking up at her with lazy eyes. Zai's cold stare was piercing at him from above, clearly not bothered by all the guns closely pointed at her head.

Marahang inangat ni Zai ang kaniyang kanang kamay and next they knew is they heard a splatting sound. From her face, ibinaba ng hepe ang kaniyang tingin sa sahig. There lies a piece of a throat of someone. The guard behind them fell flat on the concrete with blood squirting out his neck.

"You--!" Akmang kakalabitin na ng guwardiya ang trigger pero itinaas ng hepe ang kaniyang palad. The chief looked at Zai with a smile on his dry lips. "Why do that?"

Ibinalik ni Zai ang ngiti nito bago inapakan ang trachea na nakakalat sa semento. "This is what you were buying me for. A test run it is." Zai straightened her back and lose the smile. "Does that satisfy you? Or do you need another?" Some guards flinched with her question.

Tumaas ang sulok ng labi ng matanda. "Put a cuff on this thing." The guards did as they were ordered. Nagtagal ang tinginan ng hepe at ni Zai before the chief sneered then walked passed them and smiled at Ezio with open arms. "Your Majesty~ such honor to be endowed with your presence. I might just prepare a feast to celebrate this moment." He laughed.

Smiling, Ezio replied. "How could I not face the renowned Chief Hulu of the South? That is a chance I definitely cannot miss." Asta elbowed Bonzo's side when he suddenly frowned at their conversation. Nagpatuloy ang hari sa pananalita. "I was truly quite surprised to hear you personally came to deliver the cargo. I'd like to invite you for some feast if you have time, Chief."

"Oh no, no. I'd have to decline your invitation this time, Your Highness. Frustrating as it is, I still have tons of work waiting for me at home. But please do invite me again if there is an opportunity, I'll gladly cross the ocean." The old man chuckled. Heister looked at the chief and thought, 'Despite looking like that he knows his way with words.'