Kabanata 19

Author's Note:

Hello, this is StrangePiece. Thank you for reading <Excelium> and for all your support. We've come a long way. I love reading your comments and messages, they give me the courage and new inspirations to write, they really do I swear. I also want to apologize if I hadn't been able to reply to your messages and comments, especially these past months.

I've been inactive without notice for a very very long time, and I want to apologize for keeping you all waiting, sorry. At first, I've been able to manage my stuff properly but some matters just started to pile up. I've been able to publish a chapter between some good times but I suddenly don't know what to write anymore: I was blocked. Then it dragged on and on until I started to feel pressured to open the app. Gladly I finally pushed through.

I cannot promise a stable daily update unlike before, I'm really sorry, but I'll try my hardest! I already have the plot in mind, it seems my promise to keep this season short is... ahehe. Anyways, thank you for waiting and I hope I can give you enjoyment through writing. Have a good day! ^^ 

~~~

"Thank you very much, General."

Ngumiti si Yan at patuloy lamang na naglakad habang sinasabayan naman siya ng kausap niyang opisyal. "Rather than thanking us, blaming would be more appropriate. Mistakes at this scale are inexcusable in our line of work."

The old man just gave a small smile. "Are you heading straight back to the capital, Sir?"

"Yes. Urgent matters just--"

"Because of the news of your adopted?" 

Yan was taken aback by his question. Tumigil sila sa paglalakad at nilingon ni Yan ang mas nakatatandang kapitan ng nayon. "I may be stepping out of my boundaries but as a concerned citizen I have to ask which more do you prioritize?"

The old man's gaze was like those of the look of someone who already know the answer to his own question. Bahagyang sumingkit ang mga mata ng heneral. "Are you perhaps questioning if I'll sacrifice the nation for my family?"

"Yes, Sir." Yan is silent. "You are an influential figure in many nations, Mr. Haines. You are a duke before you are a general, and as one who stands near the pinnacle of nobility, your words and choices weigh near the king's authority." Yumuko ang matanda bilang pamamaalam. "I pray you always be reminded. Have a safe trip back, Sire."

Naglakad na palayo ang matanda habang nanatili naman sa kaniyang kinatatayuan si Yan. After moments of silence, he sighed.

--

From a piece of document, Sinbad raised his gaze to the nearing thumps of boots. There he found his younger brother looking at him with a jaded expression. Bumuntong-hininga ito bago hinatak ang silya sa harap ng lamesa ng hari.

Saglit na pinagmasdan ni Jebal ang haring binababa ang dokumento bago sumandal sa sariling silya at siya ring tinitigan. Jebal pursed his lips and lifted his brows as he gesture his hand to the pile of papers. "Busy?"

"Do I look like I have time for your sarcasm?"

"You know why I'm here." Ipinahinga ng prinsipe ang mga braso sa armrest habang kaniyang binibigyan ng upset na tingin si Sinbad. "You outrightly disrespected our guest, my friend, and whether you like it or not, your soon-to-be-wife. Alam mo kung para saan 'tong kasal na 'to," Jebal leaned forwad. "And you also know that the affection you hold for that woman is a poison to you and our country."

Walang nakitang reaksyon sa mukha ni Sinbad. Jebal pushed further. "Even if Zai miraculously reciprocate that "love" of yours, would she even be a benefit to you aside from warming your bed?" Jebal gently shook his head. "You're a king, she holds no noble power. Yes, she's an adopted daughter of a duke but her crimes disregarded that title a decade ago. Wala siyang mabibigay sa'yo."