Kabanata 12

The news expanded throughout the capital until it began to crawl out the city to the ears of the neighboring regions

The news expanded throughout the capital until it began to crawl out the city to the ears of the neighboring regions. With its rapid spread, it didn't take long before a headline caught every person's attention in various nations.

"So she was still alive."

Many papers went to waste after being read; either crumpled, torn, or dirtied by bootprints. It's clear as the morning sky that this is not an event they can just shove off like any daily news, especially those citizens who suffered most due to her actions from the previous war. They won't remain silent even if they were ordered to.

"As if we'll forget that day..!"

The Goddess who started it all truly brought them hell with all the months of slavery, forced labor, hunger, persecution, merciless experimentation, and many women also experienced sexual assaults from her underlings despite their age. Shaera turned their country into a land filled of different sufferings.

Just as they thought nothing could be worse, Zai murdered almost half of the population. A father, a daughter, a son, a wife, a mother— they mourned for their losses. Those whom they shared their pain was lost at the end, despite their struggles to live through the divine's cruelty. They suffered years of devastation in their economy, politics stability, rehabilitation, and losses. She might've expected the fruit of her actions yet she showed no regret even in her passing, that's unforgivable.

They knew. There was another way. A way that they only realized right after hearing from the council head; a way that she knew yet she never resolve to. She could've erased the Goddess' existence and used the books to its full potential for as she has the power to do so. Yet she didn't! She chose to slay thousands of hoping souls.

And after eight years, they're hearing news of her being alive all this time without being punished? Unacceptable. Like adding fuel to fire, a rumor also arise that Ezio Icarus is said to be responsible for it.

"There's no way we can accept this, YOUR MAJESTY!" The front gates continued banging with all the people on the other side, either in common clothes or lavish ones. "Have you forgotten this country's— your people's years of sufferings!? Some are still mourning to this date! Your royal Highness!"

"Sire, a congress has been scheduled." Isang hesitant na tingin ang ibinigay ni Heister sa kalmadong hari pagkatapos niyang lumingon sa balkonaheng pinapasukan ng ingay mula sa labas. "You are expected to attend, Sir. What will you do?"

A crease appeared on Ezio's face as he fix his black tie. He turned towards Heister's direction habang sinusuot nito ang isang relo. Mabilis na napansin ng lalaki ang damit nito na naiiba sa madalas nitong suot. The king is currently wearing a black vest with golden embroidery and a black long sleeved polo underneath. He's wearing his formal attire. Dinampot nito ang isang coat at patuloy na nilagpasan siya palabas ng pinto.

Ezio asked. "They're already there?" Heister eventually followed behind as he answer his question with a yes. Habang naglalakad ang mga ito sa pasilyo, Ezio hissed. "A sudden congress? They tick me off. Tch, forget it." Ezio gave his subordinate a glance. "I trust that my letters has been delivered?"