Kabanata 8

Morning came and instead of a cozy summer light, the streets were hushed by the dove gray color of the clouds hovering across the horizon

Morning came and instead of a cozy summer light, the streets were hushed by the dove gray color of the clouds hovering across the horizon. Despite the cold morning, citizens' daily duties never changed.

"Oh my. The weather's been cold lately. My laundry won't dry at this point." saad ng isang matandang babae habang siya'y nakadungaw sa bintana. Ngunit noong makita niyang dumaan ang naglalako ng pandesal ay mabilis niya ring binalewala ito at tinawag ang tagalako.

The capital remained the same like usual. Unsuspicious with today's weather.

But unlike the others, his two silver eyes stared curiously at the dove gray soot in the sky. Nakatayo siya sa tapat ng kaniyang bintana habang pinagmamasdan ang makulimlim na kalangitan. His eyes are serious and somehow solemn at the same time.

The day's aura is heavy and suffocating. But he mysteriously feel a surge of nostalgia for the unpleasant feeling. He could still remember that this is the sensation he feels every time he was by her side; dull and strangely uncomfortable yet reassuring.

Saglit niyang pinikit ang kaniyang mga mata. "What a nostalgic atmosphere," He opened his eyes and when he did, they were already filled with a sense of foreboding. Bahagyang tumalas ang kaniyang mga mata. "She really knows how to make a declaration."

His thoughts were only disturbed by light knocks coming from the door. Aki's voice was heard from the other side. "Captain, we'll be leaving in an hour. You should eat your breakfast already." isang buntong-hininga ang lumagpas sa mga labi ng dalaga. "You eat slower than any of us so I suggest you head to the dinning hall now."

Aki heard the captain's chuckles at hinayaan na lamang niya ito noong marinig niya ang response nito sa kaniya. "Alright, I'll go down in a minute. Thank you."

Noong tuluyan ng nawala ang papalayong yapak nito, Rui's timid smile went back to a straight line. Muli siyang lumingon sa labas ng bintana at seryosong tumitig sa kalangitan. The vigorous wind is howling outside, causing for the windows to rattle.

Rui's jaw and fist clenched tightly as the gap between his eyes wrinkle. He turned his back and walked towards the door. "I'll do what I can as a soldier," hinigpitan niya ang kaniyang kurbata at determinadong pinagmasdan ang sarili sa salamin ng kaniyang pinto. "I already threw away the past. There's nothing left to gain from it."

I'll do my job. Even if it means having to slay you, the one who gave me life, with my own hands.

--

Claysen's eyes snapped open. Ang unang bumungad sa kaniya ay ang isang puting bubong na gawa sa tela. Yumayanig din ang kaniyang kinahihigaan at naririnig niya ang mga paa ng kabayo. As well as the clattering noises of wooden wheels against the unsteady path.

Before he could determine his location, a shadow casted over him and his still widen eyes stared at blue ones. "I see, you're still tough as rock. One point."