Kabanata 16

Before the tip of his pen could even peck the paper, it paused upon noticing the approaching footsteps outside. Marahang ibinaba ni Ezio ang panulat sa gilid. He's certain those footsteps are from the doctor or the female soldier who was out for a moment but the inaudible one is probably the person who have business with him. "What a commotion."

Pinagmasdan ni Heister ang pagbukas ng pinto at ang pagpasok ng bihis na babae. Her expression is calm but the cold gaze puts him out of his comfort zone. As Zai approach the king's desk, she pulled the knife from its scabbard that she happened to snatch from a palace soldier. Binitawan nito ang walang laman na kaluban at binago ang pagkakahawak sa punyal.

Ezio sighed as he pull his glove off his left hand. "I still need this hand, I inform you."

Heister's eyes widened when the knife suddenly pierced the king's left palm. Isang maikling sigaw ang lumabas sa bibig ni Ezio as his eyes wince. A loud groan followed when Zai nailed the knife completely; his hand now pinned between the table and the knife's guard. His fingers convulsed from the pain before he calmed down and restrained his movements to avoid agitating the wound.

Heister, finally recovering from the shock of the sudden events, took a step forward ngunit mabilis na natigil sa isang hakbang ang kaniyang mga paa noong pumako sa kaniya ang mga mata ng babae. Zai glared at the king's servant before she looked back to Ezio. Ang mga papeles na kaninang inaasikaso nito ay ngayo'y nakakalat at nababahiran na ng dugo.

Ezio pulled the knife out bago siya bumuntong-hininga at sumandal sa sandalan ng kaniyang silya. Itinaas niya ang kaniyang tingin sa dalaga habang tinatanggal niya ang suot na kurbata at ipalibot ito sa kaniyang sugat. "I suppose this is about Bonzo Triston? Who wouldn't be interested with a peculiar case as he?" He fastened the tie before he relaxed his forearms on the armrests. "Just like how his fondness of blood couldn't possibly be due to his personal taste as a person, but a mere instinct of a Hellion. Doesn't that pique your interest?"

"So you fed him different kinds of flesh to enlighten your curiosity? That doesn't excuse the fact that you stepped out your domain." Zai lifted her chin bago siya tumalikod. Umupo si Zai sa couch at idinirekta ang madilim na tingin sa hari.  "Make sure you know where you stand in the future, Ezio. We're both ripping each other off, I believe you stand no higher than me."

Ezio smiled. "Understood. I'll keep that in mind." He dropped the topic at inabot ang isang papel na nasa pinakagilid ng kaniyang lamesa. "I guess that isn't the only reason you're here?"

Heister hesitantly cleaned Ezio's table as he steal a few glances from the seated woman. The atmosphere is tense and yet the two is so comfortable as if its the ambiance of spring's first morning. She really just gave the king a death threat a few seconds ago but they nonchalantly shoved it off like a casual thing. Moreover, it's a threat from the most wanted person who murdered thousands without hesitation.

"Right. Let's get this over with." Tumayo si Ezio na dala-dala ang mga papel na kaniyang hawak at inilapag ito sa harap ng dalaga. He then sat down on the couch opposite to her as she reach for the papers. Nilingon ni Ezio ang pinto. "Won't you call them in?"

Pinagmasdan ni Zai ang papel bago niya inilipat ang kaniyang mga mata sa pinto. "No one's opening the door nor would I spare effort on explaining what'll be discussed here for the second time."

"Truly, that attitude of yours experienced no change." Ero and Asta first came in, followed by Bonzo who is now wearing proper clothes as her. Saglit na tumingin si Bonzo sa nakaupong hari na binigyan lamang din siya ng isang sulyap. He averted his gaze with a click of the tongue bago niya sinundan ang pag-upo ng dalawa.

Ibinalik ni Zai ang kaniyang mga mata sa kontratang nasa kaniyang kamay at sunod niyang tiningnan ay ang hari. "In exchange for artillery supplies, I'll be transferred to the southern country?" She placed a leg on top of the other. She brushed her finger against the paper habang kaniyang inaangat ang sulok ng kaniyang labi. "I assume this is your method of officially stripping me of my slave status? You could've ask for more."