Kabanata 4

"So?" Claysen smirked as he stop on his track

"So?" Claysen smirked as he stop on his track. He shifted his weight to his right leg habang nakasabit ang kaniyang maliit na bagahe sa kaniyang kaliwang balikat. He amusedly smirked at the man sitting in front of a café with a cup of coffee in hand, "When did you cut your hair, pops?" he then chuckled as he put his bag on the floor and drop his butt on the chair in front of the general. He grinned, "No wonder all the ladies are looking at your direction, you sly old man."

Yan gently laughed at the vague compliment. "Still the same boy you are. You should just say directly that it looks good on me," his natural kind smile showed itself. "But still, thank you for being honest."

Claysen leaned back, "I'm more handsome though and that's undeniable

Claysen leaned back, "I'm more handsome though and that's undeniable." Yan chuckled as he bring the cup near his lips. Claysen's gaze went down to the man's neck and noticed something missing. He tilted his head. "You don't have the necklace with you?"

Ngumiti rito ang heneral at tinapik-tapik ang dibdib na natatakpan ng suot na suit at coat. "It's in my inside pocket," ibinaba nito ang kamay sa lamesa. "Wouldn't want to lose it in our way because of my recklessness. The road ahead might be bumpy."

By 'bumpy', the boy already knew what the general meant. Claysen sat properly and put his elbows on top of the round table. Pinagsiklop niya ang kaniyang mga kamay. Bumalik sa pagiging pormal ang ekspresyon ng binata at kaniyang binabaan ang lakas ng kaniyang boses. "Would you mind sharing the mission's details, general?" his eyes sharpened. "As brief as possible if you please."

Yan opened his momentarily closed eyes as he gently put the cup down on the saucer with a small clink. Clay's eyes glanced at the empty teacup. He shortly closed his eyes as he casually grab his bag and stood. By putting down an empty cup, Claysen already knew that it's about time to leave. It is one of the small yet meaningful gestures of the general that they became aware of for the past years. Tumayo na rin ang heneral. He tugged his coat to straighten it before he waved goodbye at the old store manager.

Naglakad na sila palayo habang dala-dala ang sari-sariling maliliit na bagahe. Claysen swung his bag over his shoulder as he tuck his left hand in his pocket. "Quite unusual for you to be suddenly assigned in a mission. I suppose that--"