Chapter 31: Sick Joke

I turn around to see butt hurt jerk standing behind me, his hair messy and a smile on his lips.

"Hey butt hurt jerk." I said, gathering my books for class.

"Want to hang out after school?" He puts his hand in mine, but only our pinkies connect.

"I'm still grounded." I remind him sadly.

"But it's Friday," he said.

"And I'm still grounded." I tell him. Next Friday I'll be meeting my moms boyfriend.

"It never stopped you to do stuff with me before," he said.

"That was right after school and my mom will be home earlier today." I explain.

"Do you not want to hang out with me?" He asks.

"I do want to hang out with you," I said. "Come to my house later after everyone is asleep."

That seems to make him smile a little. "Fine, cupcake. Be happy I'm in love with you."

"Yeah, me too." I kiss his cheek and we go separate ways.

***

After school and everyone is asleep, I'm in my room waiting for butt hurt jerk.

A light, little knock at the window at my door makes me jump and leap towards the window.

I look through the window to see butt hurt jerk shivering. I open the window quietly and he silently walks in. He gets under my covers, shivering. I shut the window, blocking the cold out.

I walk to my bed and curl against him, trying to keep him warm. "Hey cupcake." He whispers.

"Hi," I kiss his nose.

"Man, it's getting cold real fast." He says to me, kissing my nose back.

"I'm glad you came." I whisper.

"Yeah, especially since it's freezing outside." Butt hurt jerk chuckles, vibrating through his whole body.

"Thanks," I whisper.

"For coming here?" He says. "It's not like it something I've never done before."

"Yeah true."

"Maybe you should do it sometime." He suggests.

"What? Sneak out to your house?" I ask, sitting up to look at him.

"Yeah, sometime." He nods his head, pulling me a little closer.

"Maybe," I laugh.

"Ivory," A voice says on the other side of the door. We both freeze for a moment, looking at each other with wide eyes.

"Ivory, are you awake?" It's my mom.

I open my mouth to speak, but his hand clamps over it. He silently tells me to be quiet.

And eventually my mom leaves and goes back to bed. He removes his hand and I let out a long sigh of relief.

"I better get going before your mom comes back." Butt hurt jerk whispers to me after a while.

I nod my head. "Okay bye." He kisses me and then leaves.

***

The whole week going by quickly. Butt hurt jerk and I still eat in the library, the same routine. We are good; our relationship and we goof off . . . a lot.

"Ivory!" My mom yells downstairs. "Are you ready?!?"

I give myself one last look in the mirror before I head downstairs. We were going out to eat to see Ryan- her boyfriend.

"You look nice, mom." I complement her. She wore a nice shirt with dark jeans. My brother  was sitting on the couch, waiting.

"Ready?" My mom asks.

I nod and we walk out the door, into the car to head towards the restaurant.

***

"How long is he going to take?" I ask my mom who was sitting beside me.

"We are just early," my mom tells me, sipping on her water.

I sigh, waiting. "He needs to hurry up." I grumble. "I'm hungry."

"I know you are. Eat some bread." She hand me the break and sits it on the plate.

"Gladly." I say ans dig into my bread.

"Jesus, calm down." Austin tells me. I look up at him, chewing.

"I am calm!" I snap.

"What's up with you?" Austin snaps back.

"You," I fumed.

"Seems like it's something else." Austin remarked. "Like Ryan?"

"Maybe a little." I admit, eating more bread.

"Why?" My mom asks.

I look down. "Maybe because he's the first man in your life since. . dad."

My mom sniffs. "I know, Ivory. Don't feel that way, okay?"

I nod my head, forcing a smile. "I'll try."

It's easier said then done.

"Oh there he is!" My mom announces. "He even brought his son!"

"He has a son?" I ask dumbly. My mom never mentioned that.

Austin and I stand up with my mom. Ryan was a tall man with dark hair and brown eyes with a sharp jaw line. He wore a button up shirt and dark jeans. He wore a broad smile when he saw my mom.

He walked closer and hugged my mom, greeting her. His son came into view. We both met eyes- I froze.

Everything stopped- my heart, my breathing, my body, everything.

My hands shook, my whole stomach rolled- wanting to spill out the little contents of the warm, buttery bread I ate a few minutes ago.

No, no, no, no.

My lip trembled. Was this some kind of sick joke? My mom and Ryan has separated from their hug and were now sitting down. My brothers jaw was in an 'o' shape.

And me, I was still staring at Ryan's son who was gazing back at me.

Who was his son, you may ask?

Of course, it was a sick joke. Because Ryan's son was Collins a.k.a butt hurt jerk.

Now that was a purely, sick joke on me.