Chapter 17: Connection

"I swear, this better be important!" I glare at a certain someone. " That certain someone called me into I answered to go downstairs to let him in.

"It is." He tells me.

"Considering you woke me up at three in the morning!" I snap. "On a school night." I add as he walks past me to get into the house.

Butt hurt jerk tells me. "I made a move on Kandi."

I give him a blank look. "You woke me up just to tell me that?"

"That's not all of it," he says. "So we went to the diner and she was like 'you're so sweet for tutoring me,' and I go 'yeah, but I bet I could be even sweeter,' she goes 'how,' I tell her, 'if I take you out on a date,'"

Even half asleep I say, "Aww!!!" I smile. "She say yes?"

He looks away. "She said she just wants to be a friend, me only tutoring her. She told me she is talking to someone right now anyway."

I glare at him. "Now it's time for me to beat her up!"

He shakes his head. "It's okay."

I step closer to him. "No it's not. If I wasn't such a good friend to you, I'd go behind your back and beat the living daylights out of her."

He smiles. "Thanks, cupcake."

I slam into him, giving him a hug. "I'm sorry she did that, maybe she'll realize what good of a guy you are who is sweet, funny, loving, caring, and many other things. But by then it will be too late for her."

"Yeah," he mumbles into my hair.

We sit down at the couch. "I know you may think I did all of it too soon, but I guess I didn't want to go through the process of getting used to being around her and-"

"I know what you mean." I tell him. "It's good you did it sooner than later, you pulled the band aid off quicker than most."

He smiles. "Nice comparison."

I shrug. "It's only because I'm half asleep because I don't know what I'm saying."

He rolls his eyes. "Sure you don't, cupcake."

Okay so maybe I do a little, I'm wide awake now from when he told me about Kandi.

"What are you going to do about tutoring?" I ask.

"Don't know. She left pretty quickly after I asked her out on a date and I got rejected."

"That was kind of a jerk move," I observe.

"Tell me about it." He laughs. "It's gonna be a awkward tutoring session."

"Yeah," I yawn.

"Sorry about waking you up this early when schools in a few hours now. I just had to tell you, and I needed to right then." He apologizes.

"No, it's okay. I'm glad you did- even if it was few hours until school."

"You sure?" He asks.

"As sure as I can be." I remark.

"Well I'll be going before I get caught- I'll be dead if I do. See you in a few hours." He pats my head like a dog and leaves.

I slowly walk back to my room and collapse on the bed, instantly asleep.

***

"Long time, no see." Butt hurt jerk greets me.

I look up from my locker. "More like too soon, not wanna see."

"Funny." He says.

"That's why I said it." I smile. "I was teasing you, butt hurt jerk."

He laughs. "I knew that, cupcake. I'm not stupid."