Chapter 12: Present

"Do we have to go?" whined the adorable Branson.

The grandma pushed her big glasses up her sharp nose, warmly looking at Branson.

"Why don't you go say bye to them and see if they go anywhere close to your school."

She still thinks we are younger kids.

He walks over to us, head hanging low. "Bye guys.."

"Bye buddy." I whisper, stirring his hair and he looks up, crashing against me.

I'm not used to people giving me hugs, so at first I freeze and go wide eyed, but then I loosen up and bend down to give him a better, proper hug.

"You're gonna get cooties!" Jokes butt hurt jerk.

He pulls away, smiling. "But I like her cooties." Branson hugs butt hurt jerk who whispers something in his ear, which of course I can't hear.

"Ready to go?" He asks me as the grandma leaves with Branson. I sigh and nod.

I hope I'll see him again sometime.

"You like that kid?" Butt hurt asks walking beside me towards his car.

"Yeah." I say. "He isn't bad. Do you?"

Butt hurt jerk scoffs. "He was so annoying." I turn and give him a glare. "I'm kidding! Goodness, and he's pretty cool."

"I like him even more than I do because he insulted you!" I tease.

"Yeah, yeah." He rolls his eyes, turning up the music before I can say anything.

I roll my eyes. "The only reason you turned the music up that loud is because you wouldn't have a good comeback!"

He hears me, I can tell but instead he says, "Can't hear you!"

Jerk.

***

"See ya, cupcake!" He says, parking in my driveway  behind my mom's car.

"Bye jerk." I say. "Wait. . ." I turn to look at him.

"Yeah?" He looks at me.

"Wanna meet my best friend?" I offer.

He turns down the radio a few notches. "Who?"

I grin. "Netflix."

***

"This is my humble home." I say in a deep voice.

He looks around, and I suddenly feel very alert to old trash sitting on the table of our living room and the dirty towel- Austin's- sits on the floor.

"Sorry about the mess, my stupid brother lives like a slob." I pick up the dirty towel with my nose wrinkled. I was nervous having him here- this was the first time a friend, my first really ever friend, at my house.

Great way to top it, Ivory, messy house makes them love it here! My subconscious sarcastically remarks.

Shut up, I shoot at her; my subconscious.

"It's okay." He says. "You should see my room."

I cringe. "Ew, I'd rather not!"

He smirks. "You'd love to be in my room, don't deny it."

"The only thing you need to deny is," I plop down next to him. "is that I'd actually want to go in your room."