Chapter 32: Strangers

"This is Ryan's son, Collins." My mom tells me after we all sit down.

"This is Ivory," my mom says to Collins who is looking at me still, sitting beside his dad. His dad-Ryan is sitting beside Austin.

Ryan clears his throat. "Uh. . .I wonder what's good here?"

We all look at our menus, I keep looking up at Collins who is biting at his lips worriedly.

"Hello everyone,"the waitress greets us, walking to our table. "I'll be your server today, my name is Kylie. What would you guys like to drink?"

We all order our drinks, I keep looking down. Why? Why did it have to be him. Why couldn't it be someone else. Heck, I'd gladly take that snitch in the period after lunch who snitched on me to Collins about me paying him five dollars to do something to butt hurt jerk. Or I'd gladly take Branson!

Just anyone besides him.

"Doesn't Collins go to the same school as Ivory?" My mom asks Ryan, who nods before looking back down at his menu. "Well, do the two of you have any classes together?" She looks at Collins.

He clears his throat. "No we don't actually." He doesn't look at me. "I've never met or seen her before until now actually. We're kind of strangers."

Ouch. I try not to feel hurt, but his words hit home and aim straight towards my heart. He doesn't look at me, while I stare at a thread in the table cloth. I am vaguely aware of my brother staring at me.

"Oh, well maybe you can now." My mom explains. "Especially since I'm dating your dad."

An emotion crosses Collins face, which I'm not supposed to be looking at him; it's too painful, but I can't seem to look away.

"Uh, yeah." He said as the waitress brought back our drinks and ordered our food.

"So," Ryan says. "How are you, Ivory?"

I force a polite smile. "I'm swell."

A hint of a smile appears on his face. "Very well. I'm glad I can finally meet you, your mom has told me a lot about you."

I force a fake chuckle. "Wow, my mom barely told me about you. Only your name."

Ryan seems amused. "You like keeping it all a mystery, don't you?" He asks my mom.

Her cheeks redden in a blush. "I only didn't tell my kids about you a bunch was because I wanted it as a suprise."

And gee, it was for sure.

Ryan hums in repsonse and starts talking to Austin about sports.

"So," my mom starts conversation with a pale looking Collins. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

His eyes focus on here. "Sorry what?"

"I said," my mom repeats. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

His face suddenly looses emotions, it seems. Not breaking eye contact with my mom- not even bothering to look at me, staring at my hands- said, "No I don't."

Double ouch, no triple ouch, well probably a lot more than 'triple ouch' is was a lot more. And I mean, I went breathless, my hands shook, my insides turned cold and twisted.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom," I muttered before walking away.

Once in the bathroom, I opened a stall, and sat down.

I didn't burst into tears, I sat there completely still and stared at the stall's door. My mind could not accept that that was true.

It truly cannot be. It just can't. Even though it was happening it didn't feel like it. It probably won't make sense, but to me it did at the time.

After a few more minutes of staring at the stall, it was just getting worse; the silence, my thoughts.

I washed my shaking hands as fast as I could. And I walked out like nothing happened.

"What happened," my brother tried to lighten the mood. "You fall in?"

I roll my eyes. "You wish I did, you'd love that."

Austin forces out a loud laugh. "Yeah, I'd take way too many pictures."

Just then, our food comes and we eat in silence. For Collins and I, it was purely even more louder even with the silence.

***

"Ivory," Austin stops me from locking myself away into my room. I look at him, he was standing there with a sad look on his face. I was tired, emotionally and mentionally.

"Um, yeah?" I question him.

"Are you okay?" He asks. I walk in my room, he follows. "Well are you?"

"I'm going to say I'm fine," I say lowly. "Because I don't need you to worry."

"Ivory, Collins. . .He's moms boyfriend's son."

"You tell me like I haven't noticed!" I snap, glaring at him.

He looks a little hurt. "I'm just trying to help you, sorry. I want you to be okay."

I huff out a breath. "I will when you leave. Now."

"Ivory-"

"Please," I plead. "I need to be alone."

Austin's shoulders slump. He lets out a small breath, "Okay."

I close the door behind him and I am finally alone.

***

At lunch, Monday afternoon, I run to the library. I need to talk to him.

I walk in, expecting to see him sitting him there, waiting for me. But he isn't in there yet, so I go and sit down at the usual table. I grab a book and distract myself.

He'll be here, I think, he's just a little late, that's all. I pulled out some strawberries and ate a few while I read and waited on him to come, so we could talk.

Little did he know, I waited until the bell went off and was late to my next class, which was with him, waiting for him. But to my suprise he wasn't in the class either.

_____

Hey guys, I'm so happy for all the reads and the comments and votes!! It's amazing, I love you all so much! I hope you are enjoying my story!

Xoxo
Talia