Chapter 18: Unreadable

We starer at each other, wide eyed, for quite a while. To be honest, I bet we looked kind of silly, just staring at each other with wide eyes.

My blood has risen to my cheeks and his went to his neck.

Lord of mercy, we were both blushing!

I can't seem to look away from him and neither can he. If this was a staring contest, we'd be in a tie.

But eventually our eyes would get dry and we'd need to blink or our eye would twitch- which would be even more embarrassing.

What is wrong with me?

He just got done telling me a kind of connection he wants with someone- which is the same kind of relationship we have. But now I'm also thinking of an eye twitching.

"Uh. . ." I speak, my voice a whisper. "Want another strawberry?"

He looks away first, shaking his head no. He gets out of his seat and leaves the library.

Well then.

I poke a strawberry, confused. Was he specifically talking about me?

If so, does that mean that he likes-

Get a hold of yourself, he doesn't like you that way, don't think that. My subconscious snarled at me, I could almost hear her cruel laughter.

Well it was kind of my laughter, which means that I technically just called my laugh creepy.

The bell rings, making me go to my next period. I go in my next class and butt hurt jerk isn't in there yet.

Soon enough, class starts and he still isn't in the class.

Five minutes.

Ten.

Fifteen.

He still doesn't come in class, he ditched.

What is up with him? I'm too confused by what he said to understand why he left school- just because he said that?

Seems suspicious and weird.

I'll need to ask him about it soon, but he left school and I'll have to ride home with my brother. I don't even know where he lives.

Aren't I just lucky?

***

"Why isn't Collins driving you home?" My brother asks as we leave school.

"Who is Collins?" Taylor asks, sitting up leaning towards the front of the car.

I had gotten shotgun, well I kind of ran to the car and sat in the passenger seat.

"Her boyfriend." Austin says.

"For God's sake, he isn't my boyfriend, he ditched last period." I tell Austin.

"So who is Collins?" Taylor asks.

"My friend, stupid." I tell him. Taylor rolls his eyes.

"I need to talk to him," I dial his number, but just as I expected he didn't answer.