11. MRI

I wake up, corpse still asleep against me. He rolled over, so he's leaning on me. His calm breathing makes me smile a little. This is better. He should be like this more often. His tired eyes make me sad. Knowing he simply can't sleep or can't maintain sleep no matter how tired he is is even worse.

An alarm goes off, making me jump and corpse groan. He grumbles something to himself before rolling onto his back. He turns it off and yawns. 'What the heck?!' I say as I sit up a little, leaning back on my arms. 'Huh?' I look at him. 'You were finally asleep!' He breaths out and rubs his face. 'I need to call the doctor.' He says as he holds his phone. After a second he pulls the phone up to his ear. He gets up and greets the doctor as he walks out. 'He finally slept.' I grumble. It was nice to see him sleep. 'What fucking time is it?' I roll onto corpse's side and look at the alarm clock. Seven. 'Christ.' I say as I drop my face into his pillow. It smells really nice, so I pull the covers up too and snuggle into the fluffy sheets. I get why pebbles enjoys to lay here. I close my eyes as I pull my legs up to my chest while laying on my side.

'I'm a little jealous now.' He says. I open my eyes, I didn't hear him walk up. He sits down next to me. 'Comfortable?' He asks. 'Your side smells way better.' I say. He smiles and moves hair out of my face. 'When will you be able to come?' I ask. 'Five past ten.' He says. 'That fast?' I ask. 'Yeah, an appointment got canceled so he had time to let me come.' He says. 'I'll drive you.' I say. He opens his mouth to say something but doesn't and looks down at his hand. 'It's no problem, I have nothing to do.' I say. He smiles and lays down next to me, making me move back to my side a little. He moves under the sheets and pulls me to him.

We lay in bed a little longer before corpse gets out to shower. When he's done I go too.
When I step out of the shower I see small buns and topping on the dinner table. He comes walking up with a tea pot, making me smile at the big man with the small pot. 'What ya doing?' I ask as I follow him to the table. 'You did dinner, I'll do breakfast.' He says. I smile at him and kiss his cheek. 'You're fast.' I say. He did this with one hand while I took a short shower. I sit down with him and start on breakfast. I smile as I feel that the buns are warm. When I look up at him I find him looking at me, he blushes as he looks away. 'You have a nice smile.' He says. Now I'm blushing too 'thank you.'

We arrive at the hospital. In the waiting room, corpse bounces his leg nervously. I place my hand on his 'calm down a little.' I say as I feel that his hand is trembling. 'You okay?' I ask as I squeeze his hand gently. 'I'm anxious.' He says. I stroke his hand with my thumb while holding it. 'You got this. I'll be here.' I say. He nods.

They call his name and he gets up, me following behind. We enter an office and an older looking man greets him, shaking my hand for introduction.

'I'm glad to hear everything worked out with the insurance.' The doctor says. 'Yeah, me too.' Corpse says back.
He and the doctor talk about what is going on with him. They talk about his arm and then about doing the scan. The doctor prints something and hands it over. 'Take this with you and hand it to the nurse there, they'll help you from there on.' We nod and corpse Thanks the man even though he didn't really help him. We quietly walk down the hall.

What happens inside the scan?' He asks as we sit in a different waiting room after having handed the paper. 'MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging. It uses magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the inside of the body. In this case your brain.' I say. He hums as he bounces his leg again. 'No jewelry allowed.' I say. 'No?' He asks. I shake my head.
After forty minutes he gets called in. Different office, different doctor. A woman this time. She explains that it'll take about half an hour to forty minutes. He gets earplugs. 'So you'll need to lay as still as possible, just relax if you can.' The doctor says. 'Alright.' Corpse says back. 'There will be a tapping like noise. It's nothing to worry about but try to ignore it. If anything's wrong you can simply raise your hand or tell me. I'll be able to hear you and talk to you through the intercom.' The doctor says. He nods. We head to a different room where he has to change and take off all jewelry. Not that he had much on. The doctor asked me to stay with her, seeing how he has bad anxiety and stress and the noise can trigger that. I nervously play with a coin in my pocket as I watch him lay down. They move him in place and the scan starts. There's a small screen where I can see him. He lays down and looks around a little as he keeps his head still. 'You can have a seat.' The doctor tells me. I sit down and watch.

He was already anxious before we arrived.

After a bit more then thirty minutes, he closes his eyes tightly and clenches his jaw. 'Sir, try to think of something calming.' The doctor says through the intercom. 'I'm trying.' He says back. For a bit it seems like he's okay, but he seems to get upset again. 'Just seven more minutes, you're nearly there.' The doctor says. 'I don't okay if I can....' He clenches his jaw again. 'May I?' I ask as I point at the intercom. 'Please go ahead. He needs to be distracted for a couple more minutes.' She says. I sit down next to her and push the button 'Hey you.' I say. He opens his eyes and looks at the intercom 'Amelia.' He says. 'Yeah, so I was wondering.... what kind of food do you like?' I ask. 'Food?' He asks. 'Yeah. You liked yesterday's meal. So you like spicy?' I ask. He smiles quickly 'I do, but it's bad for my stomach.' He says. 'Okay. What about stew?' I ask. 'Yeah, that's good.' He says. He seems okay now. 'Alright. I'll make that sometime.' I say. 'Okay, that'd be nice.' As the silence falls He seems more uncomfortable 'what will we do when I have it?' He asks out of nowhere. 'We'll make the best of it.' He closes his teary eyes. I don't know what to say now. It goes on for another four minutes as I watch his sad and scared face. 'You should go in first.' The doctor says. I walk out of the room and up to the door to where corpse is. When it buzzes I push it open and walk up to him. He sits up, having taken the earplugs out. He sniffles. 'Will you really stay if I have it?' He asks. 'Till you get tired of me.' I say as I hug him. He holds me tightly for a bit before letting go.

On the way home he rests his head against the door and closes his eyes as I drive in silence.

I promise I'll stay.
Unless you don't want me to.