99. Into the field.

'This is as far as we'll go.' I hear the pilot say. For the first time in my life, I'm shaking before a mission.

The mission this time,
Get my guys out.

'Alright, everyone ready.' Marksen says. He smacks the back of my helmet. 'Get over it soldier.' He says. The shaking stops, now focused. 'Alright, down down down.' Marksen says. Everyone takes the rope down from the helicopter. I'm second last, haling on to the rope before letting myself fall out of the helicopter. When everyone is on the ground, the chopper takes off and we stand in formation, looking for anything moving till the sand settles down. The second it does Marksen gives the sign, 'alright go.' He says as we start to move. Two teams either side of the street. We reach the corner and Marksen holds up his hand. Everyone stops and waits. He signs to go, and the group on the other side of the road is first. Then we follow.

I carry a heavy bag, with all the medical supplies I could possibly need. Along with that I carry my ammo and rifle too.
The second we reach the place, we can see the chaos. A chopper on fire in the middle of the open place. I notice the guys on the other side. 'Alright, everyone knows their places. Let's do it.' Marksen says. Everyone moves out, climbing into buildings and other places so the enemy will be attacked from all sides. Marksen hits my shoulder, letting me know he's behind me, so I move through the buildings. A explosion makes my ears ring and dust rise up around us, we're taken from sight so we kneel down so we're smaller targets. When the dust lays down, Marksen pats my shoulder and we head on.

600 feet away from the building, we get to the dangerous part. There's no cover from here on. 'Let's hope the fuckers can't aim.' Marksen says. I nod and stand ready. He pats my shoulder and we bolt to the building. Bullets fly around us as we make our way to cover. 'Marksen?!' I yell to check if he's with me. 'Here!' He yells back. I reach the building but hear a thud behind me. 'Marksen!' I run back out and drag him into the building. 'Are you okay?! Are you hurt?' I ask. He chuckles and rolls onto his back. 'Hell of a sprint even though you carry about 50 kilo of gear.' He says. I hit his helmet 'fuck you.' I say as I pull him up. He dusts himself off.

'Surprise.' I say as I step into the big room where the guys are. 'Lieutenant!' They get up and walk over. 'Who's hurt?' I ask. I soon spot the medic. 'Jackson, Williams, and-' we all duck down as the building shakes. 'Where are they?' I ask. They lead me to them. Between Jackson and Williams, Jackson looks the worst. 'Hey man.' I say as I kneel down next to him. I take off the heavy backpack. 'Couldn't live... with just... nurse... huh?' He asks. 'Ah well, you know me, got a bit burning.' I say. I open his blouse and lift his shirt to see the wound. Then I cut into his pants to reveal a gunshot wound. 'What happened?' I ask. 'You have eyes.' He says back shortly. I do but what happened to his chest is unexplainable. I take the loose hanging skin and lay it back in place before injecting morphine. 'Ya think the... wife will.... still find me... handsome?' He asks before coughing. 'I doubt she ever did.' I say jokingly. 'Hah, You're mean.' He says as I staple the skin in place. I lay a bandage over his chest before taping it tightly to his chest. 'Surgical.' He says. 'Masterpiece.' I say back. 'Thanks.' He says.

Williams is next, both his arm and shoulder are shot. 'Please don't hate me.' I say before pushing around the one in his shoulder. I need to know where it is in order to know the severity. He groans in pain but lets me do it. 'It's your lucky day Will.' I say before bandaging the wounds. 'Hurray.' He says back plainly. 'I would have slapped you for that.' I say as a warning before I help him put his jacket back on. 'Who else?' I ask. 'Over here, I called in medevac.' Marksen says. That bad? I walk in to find smithy twitching and bleeding, 'give him morphine.' Dolsen says. 'Give me a second.' I say. I look at his situation. His hip is shot, and fragments of a grenade all over the right side of his body. Marksen walks to take some of them out but I stop him. 'Leave it in.' I say. Smithy whines in pain as Books holds his head in his lap. One of the fragments looks dangerous. It's big, but I can't see how far it goes in. I risk giving him morphine. 'Amy.' His shaking voice says as he reaches for me. 'Hey smitters.' I say as I take his hand and sit down next to him. 'Call them again.' Marksen yells from further in the building, taking over my guys. 'Am I going to die?' He asks. 'You tell me, you plan on leaving me?' I ask. 'Who would give me random hugs then?' I ask him. He lets out a choked laugh. 'You're very nice ma'am.' He says. I squeeze his hand with a smile 'only to some.' I say. He smiles back weakly.

Multiple bombs fall, shaking the ground completely and sending sand and dus everywhere. I shield smithy from it.
'Was that them?' He asks. 'No, the big guns are ours.' I say. He lays his head straight as he looks at the ceiling. 'What will you do when you get home?' I ask. 'Play with my dog.' He answers. I chuckle 'oh yea? What's the dogs name?' I ask. 'Kevin.' He says. I chuckle 'really? Did you give him that name?' I ask. 'Nah I adopted him form a shelter.' He says. I smile and pat his head 'You're a good man, smithy.' I say. He hums in return.

'Marksen.' I say as I grab his arm. He turns to me, cut on his face. 'When will this be done?' I ask.