Chapter 35 • The Act

AUTHORS NOTE: Hello everybody, I apologize for not editing this chapter once again. I haven't been able to edit with how busy my schedule has been the past few days. My health has really been my first priority and I've been in the hospital with two surgeries on my birthday, which was January fifth, so that was quite bizarre. I'm on the road to recovery, which is a good thing. So please be patient with me while I sort everything out. I apologize for the editing errors and how short this chapter is compared to other ones. Enjoy and I promise I'll be working on the next chapter. Stay safe and until next chapter! <3

She was cutting herself. I knew something was up with the scars and cuts she'd come in with. I suspected it, but didn't want to believe it as I was rather hoping it was the actual cat she blamed it on or even her mother doing it. Which still wouldn't of been any better, but it would've made me feel the pain I'm feeling looking at her right now.

She tried to hide her wrist from me as if I hadn't just caught her in the act of hurting herself.

"Janie. Give me your wrist, I need to see the damage," I uttered out in a whisper, looking her in the eyes.

I sighed and became more stern, trying not to be angry right now, "let me see," I gritted out.

"No Stephen.. I can't let you," she begged out, trying to get out of my hold with her face flushed in fear.

"Janie. Just fucking show me, god dammit!" I angrily shouted, making her stop trying to get out of my hold and instead she began shaking uncontrollably as she finally shoved her hand towards me.

My eyes met the cuts scattered all over her arm, with blood following. My eyes were wide, at the sight of the blood, making me grab a towel from the cabinet.

"I can't get blood on those ones, my mom will be ma-," she went to go on and I interrupted her, "I'll buy her a whole new set of towels, but your more important right now."

I wrapped the towel around her arm, keeping pressure applied. "I'm not going to die. The blood will stop eventually," she said as if this was some normal thing.

I looked at her with furrowed eyebrows from her words. "So how long have you been doing this to yourself?" I questioned, maintaining eye contact with her, which made her quickly look away from me, taking a deep breath.

It broke my heart and I was trying to act like it didn't, but it did to see her like this. She stayed quiet, refusing to answer my question. She looked away, worry falling to her face as she gulped loudly, opening her mouth to say something but quickly stopping herself. I rolled my eyes at her doings and walked up closer to her, leaving her to slowly back away from me.

It hurt for her to back away from me, because all I had wanted was her to fall into my arms or something, just anything to show that she's on the same page as I am. It's making me rethink everything we've done together. Does she even want to be with me? I felt so fucking confused and I hated it. I hated not knowing. Usually girls reassured me with their consistency or clinging, but Janie wasn't like that. Not with me at least.

"How long?" I finally broke the silence, pointing to her wrist, making her throw up two fingers.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her not talking still, but quickly asked, "weeks, months, years?"