Chapter 31 • Recurring Promises

"M-My mom?" I gulped out, my eyes falling wide.

"Yeah. You've met my parents Janie. I think it's time I meet yours, don't you think? I mean, because we are closer.. unless you don't think so?" He stared at me, now concerned on the silence.

"It's not that.. I-," I cut myself off, bringing my hands to my face, sighing in between my fingers, before I ran them through my hair.

"She's just.. not like you think she is," I admitted, looking down, feeling his hands come to my side in reassurance.

"Oh Janie. I think I know exactly how she is," he confessed, making me look up at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"Well Stephen.. just trust me she's not going to be nice and want to get to know-," I went to go on to try and explain in worry.

"Janie, I know.." he brought his hand to my hair, brushing it out of my face. "When you met my parents, it didn't go as planned either doll. I just think it would be nice for her to at least see who you've been with all this time, don't you think?" He placed his finger under my chin, forcing me to look up at him.

I grabbed his arm, pulling it away from me as I instead turned around from him. "What she said to me on the phone Stephen, I don't think it will change the way she thinks if you met her. But if that's what you want, I'll ask her tomorrow if she'd want to," I confessed, grabbing the shampoo, Stephen interrupting me as he grabbed my waist, spinning me around to face him.

"What did she say on the phone?" He cocked an eyebrow, grabbing the shampoo out of my hand, making me furrow my eyebrows at his doings, my eyes following his hand putting it back on the ledge.

"Janie baby.. tell me what she said," he firmly grabbed both sides of my face, forcing me to look up at him.

I shook my head, "Stephen I can't, it's too embarrassing," I looked down, him quickly forcing me to look him in the eyes once again, making me roll them in annoyance.

"Baby.. I need you to tell me, I want you to tell me," he looked me in the eyes, his green ones desperately hovering over mine. My lips began to tremble, making me try to bite my lip in a way to disguise what was actually happening.

"If you know, you won't want to meet her," I suggested, trying to change his mind, even though I knew it would help my case to get him not to go, but I didn't want him actually knowing because of how embarrassing it was to hear your own mother call you those things.

He gave me a small, sweet smile. "Your beautiful and so kind and caring Janie. I love that about you, but I'm going to need you to stop caring so much for a second and tell me, alright?"

I stayed quiet, looking anywhere but his eyes, taking a deep breath, before I did as he said. "S-She thinks that I'm s-selling my body to you," I admitted out in a stammer, my cheek glowing in a bright red, as I refused to look Stephen in the eyes as mine were filled with tears wanting to spew over. He was suddenly so quiet that it made me even more embarrassed.

"Janie. Tell me everything and I mean it," he demanded, bringing his hand to my shoulder, softly rubbing it.

"I don't want to Stephen," I finally looked at him, allowing his eyes to meet my glossed over ones.

He loosened up at the sight of me, "please Jan-," he went to beg me, making me add, "it's not really important.."

"Janie," he spoke, giving me those demanding eyes that made me do as he said. So I finally just spat it out, quickly before I could change my mind and back out.