Chapter 12 • What Turn's A Man On? Kindness And Lace

I flicked the light switch on, as I shut the door behind me, with a sigh. I was back home alone and left to sink into my stress. I threw my keys back onto the countertop, staring down into the jacket I held in my arms, curiously bringing it to my nose, hoping in a way it smelt like Janie now. I shut my eyes, taking a long and overwhelming inhale, making the warm vanilla scent please my nostrils.

It felt like Janie was all I was able to think about, especially since now here I was smelling my jacket, hoping it smelt just like her calming scent. I fluttered my eyes open with a deep breath, taking the jacket away from my nose. What was I doing?

Something I shouldn't be. What we had been doing felt so innocent, but I knew it wouldn't be if we continued it. Because every time I was left alone to think about it, I felt as if my father would be right, again. But then again, when I'm with Janie it feels as if the only right answer is clearly, yes! Fuck, I just don't know anymore. I just wanted to have my father scold me with his harsh tone, saying, "Stephen get a grip of yourself."

I laid the jacket on the table, before running my hands through my hair. Janie, sweet Janie had found her way through my thoughts once again. I pulled at the ends of my hair, feeling myself get anxious as the bottle of Bourbon continued to stare at me with the same colored eyes as Janie's, a hazelnut color that somehow continued to get lighter the more I stared into them.

I shook my head, gripping onto the barstool I had at the end of the counter. I let out a defeated groan, before pushing myself up from the barstool. I grabbed a small glass from one of my cabinets and set it down, as I opened up the bourbon bottle, pouring some of it in. I took a big gulp of it, the taste never getting better. I turned around, the cup still in my hand as I leaned against the counter, staring at the jacket on the table, making me set down my cup, not able to stare at it any longer.

So I grabbed the black jacket, heading to my bedroom where I went to hang it up. I grabbed a hanger, going to put the jacket on it, but before I could something fell out of it. My eyebrows furrowed as I bent down, seeing ten dollars. Ugh, Janie.. she was behind this, huh? Was this her way of paying me back? Next time I see her, I'm giving it back.

I shook my head at the fact she had left this in my pocket to pay me back. But even though, I wasn't planning on keeping it, a smile rose to my lips about the fact she wouldn't let me pay for our frozen yogurt. I put the jacket in my closet and walked out, putting the money on top of my desk so I wouldn't forget to give it to her.

The sound of my phone ringing made me jump, startled and confused at who could be calling. I reached my hand into my back pocket, seeing who it was before I answered it. "Hello Stephen."

I rolled my eyes at his triumphant tone, as I knew what this was going to be about now. He was calling to make sure I had done what he had asked and I knew exactly how he would react if I told him I didn't do what he wanted me to do. "Hi D-," I began, only to get cut off by him.

"-Did you do what I had asked you to?" He questioned, not beating around the bush. I hated to admit it, but he was great at reading me to see if I was lying, even if it was over the phone, which terrified me. It made me not want to breath different or change my tone, scared he would know I was lying.

"I did," I quickly responded, trying to retain the stutters that dared to come from my lips.

"I hope so, because if you didn't you know what would happen-," he began to tell me his threats again. Oh did he know how to provoke me.