Chapter 36 • Spilling Truths

WARNING: This chapter includes topics such as self harm and sexual assault. If those topics are triggering to you, feel free to skip this chapter.

I watched her hesitate on the fact she had to tell me everything from the beginning, but with a deep breath she surprised me with how open she quickly became.

"I was friends with Sammy since I was around ten maybe even earlier.. but when I turned twelve I began going over there more because it was like and escape from my mom and dads fighting. T-That's how it started.." she trailed off, bringing her hand to her face looking down ashamed. I sighed and got up, making my way over to her and sitting down besides her.

I grabbed her and hugged her, stuffing her into my arms. "What started, Janie?" I looked down at her in question, seeing her gulp before responding.

"Their parents weren't there one day I went over there and it was just Joaquin, he told me they'd be back soon and naive me, went in. I guess I didn't think anything of it at first cause I really trusted him. B-But he forced his hands down my underwear and you get it-," she cut herself off, holding her head as if she had a headache at just talking about it.

Hearing it in details and seeing her hurt and disgusted as if it was her fault is was infuriated me. "How old were you guys?" I asked out, curious, but I was afraid of the answer.

"I was eleven when it started and fourteen when it ended. He was sixteen when it first happened then eighteen when it ended." She confessed.

"That's illegal Janie!" I angrily spat out, wanting revenge on him.

"I know-I already know!" She cried out.

I cupped her cheek in my palm and looked at her with a gentle grin to try and reassure her to let her know I'm not angry at her. I seen her try to give me this small smile to show me that she was okay, put I could see right passed the broken smile as her eyes told me she was anything but fine. The tip of her nose was red and her eyes were watered over.

I caressed her cheek, as she took a deep breath in my hold. I tilted my head, waiting for the rest of the truth, which made her confess out, "he eventually got a girlfriend later on when he was eighteen so he cut it off and my fifteen year old self was really confused and I hate to say it but I was really jealous when I'd see him at Sammy's with his so girlfriend."

"Janie baby.. don't feel guilty that you were jealous when it's entirely his fault for everything that happened. He should've known better," I stared down at her, trying to comfort her with my words.

"Why are you so nice to me over this stuff?" Janie furrowed her eyebrows looking up at me.

"Because I care about you so fucking much that it hurts how much pain you've been put through. So tell me what else did that asshole do to you?" I questioned, trying to keep my cool.

"Nothing.." she trailed off, making me tilt my head at her.

"What about the night of the party? Or that one day I picked you up from Sammy's and your shirt was unbuttoned and your finger was burned?" I asked her, seeing her face drop, shocked at how I remembered that.

"The night of the party, nothing really happened. He just.. well I can't really remember that well now. It's a bit fuzzy."