Chapter 4

“No, no. You’re doing it all wrong. This is how you do it.” Hiyori said shaking her head. She unsheathed her Zanpakuto and focused. She slashed right then left smoothly. Planting her sword into the ground, she kicked up and flipped through the air. Swiftly, she landed and grabbed her sword, defensively.

I sighed and tried again. This was my daily routine training with Hiyori. It was worth it though. This drilled on for an hour. We started at 7 usually ending at 10. Had to say, I was tired. We’ve been training for three weeks now and for a young girl such as I, it’s hard to keep up. What’s worse is the nightmares that wake me and make me stay up. It’s weird though. It’s been the same one for a week now.

Flash Back

I woke up in a hourglass like the first time, but this time the sand it stuck in the top half. Sitting up, I feel the blood rush back through my body. My head pings in pain as I stand up. My eyes blur as a figure of a girl walks towards me with a black panther by her side. In panic I run to the glass and begin to pound the glass, hoping to shatter it.

What was I going to do after? There was no other place to go. Outside of the glass was nothing, just pitch black. What good would that do? Trying to avoid the girl I run in the opposite direction back into the middle of the glass. She stopped as the panther sat beside her.

“Hear me Kohaku.” I could barely make it out. “My name is…”

My breath hitched as I look up to see the black sand that was stuck fall, pouring onto me. I began to drown in the sand, screaming in panic. I try to swim out but to no avail. I gave one last look to the girl. She and the panther began to dissolve into sand as they swirled away. The glass beneath me shattered. The sand and I fell through the hole going nowhere.

Everynight, I would have that dream. It’s been draining my energy lately. I think Hiyori is even starting to notice. If it’s at that point, it’s bad. My eyes have bags. My reactions are slower. Everything seems to be falling apart.

“Eh! Dumbass! You’re not even listening to me!” Hiyori shrieked giving me a thump on the head.

“Sorry, Hiyori. I’ve been really tired lately.” I sighed, sitting down in the grass.

She stared at me then stabbed her Zanpakuto into the ground. Leaning on it, she stared at me as if saying ‘tell me more’.

Sighing, I explained. We sat for about thirty minutes as I told her my problem. For once, she didn’t seem to interrupt me and acted genuinely concerned.

“I see,” she said at last, “It would seem to me that your Zanpakuto spirit is trying to contacted you. Kohaku, these are not meant to be nightmares.” She paused, “Try this. When you are about to fall asleep, meditate for a while. Keep telling yourself that you want to meet your spirit. Also don’t be afraid of these dreams. Calm yourself when you find yourself in these dreams. Calm down. Ask the person in front of you questions. Try to get to know it. And that panther. If it doesn’t attack you, don’t fear it.”

I smiled. “Now go and get some sleep. Take this week off to get some sleep. I can’t let you get kicked out of the school. All my hard work would have gone to waste.” She joked. I let out a soft laugh and heaved myself up. I grabbed my sword and walked off, leaving Hiyori in the court yard. As I turn my head back, I see her leaning on her sword again with her eyes closed. I will try.

I escalated up the stairs at a very slow pace, pondering on the things Hiyori said. Not really focusing on walking, I stared at the ground lit by the lights as I passed them by. A long shadow stretched from in front of my. I turned my gaze upwards to see two large figures both wearing white captain uniforms. Not really recognizing them from a far, I stopped and bowed my head. They didn’t really seem to notice me, which oddly made me happy. All this attention I was getting at school made me feel tired. I didn’t like being the center of attention.

They were gone in a matter of minutes, so I continued my walk to my dorm. I suddenly began to feel multiple energies fill the air. Tensing, I continued to walk, the flock of energies trailing behind me. I walked into a different court yard then stopped in my tracks. I unsheathed my Zanpakuto, waiting for the cloud of energies to attack. Soon enough the fog became visible. There were about twelve of students but I could feel the thirteenth one hiding in the shadows.

“What do you want?” I asked fighting from closing my eyes.

Silence lingered in the air. I sighed. A snap came from the darkness then they attacked. Like a surge of wolves, they dove into battle. I easily dodged their attacks. Left and right they swung. There was no connection between the zanpakuto and themselves. Using the moves Hiyori taught me, I dodged the attacks. Unwilling to cut them with my Zanpakuto, I knocked them out by kicking and punching.

Eventually, the twelve were on the ground moaning and panting. They must have been first years. Clapping slowly came from the darkness and a boy appeared. It was Rei, the one who fought Hiyori.

__________________________________________________

So update is kinda short but and update is and update. Hope you enjoyed it. Leave comments and suggestions