Chapter 2 - A New Place

Today was the day that everything was going to change. My sack was packed with all of my necessities. Together, Grandma Sasaki, Mai, and I walked to the Academy. It was around noon so the sun was blazing, skin absorbing every ounce of light. Mai, snoring lightly, was asleep on Grandma’s shoulder. With each step, my heart pounded faster and harder.

When we finally reached the destination, Grandma Sasaki reached into her bag. I stood there waiting in confusion. She shuffled through the bottles of water and packages of food. Her hand stopped moving as she pulled out a black head band. It looked like a normal head band. It was black and had two tuffs of cloth attached to the left side resembling two black flower petals.

“I made this for you. So you never feel homesick. This is a sign of a promise. Promise me that you will come back to us one day.” She said, looking into my eyes.

“I promise Grandma.” I replied, engulfing her into a hug.

“I will always love you. I’ll write to you every week.” She said, giving me a kiss on the head. She looked at Mai.

“I’m sorry I never got to see you grow up Mai. Hopefully one day we will meet again.” I said, kissing her head. She yawned and fell back asleep.

“You better get going. Have fun Haku. I love you.” Grandma Sasaki said. She turned around and began to walk away.

“I love you.” I whispered.

As the figure disappeared, I turned to the gates. Students and families filed through the gates. Walking towards the enterance, I gazed at the building. It was an amazing sight. The towers stood tall and the gates so noble. At the gates, I took a deep breath and proceeded forward, gaining strange looks from passing students.

The campus was beautiful. Cherry blossom trees and small ponds lined the grassy ground. Students of all ages scrambled around the court yard holding papers, uniforms, and bags. Sack in hand, I walked towards the line formed infront of a table. Standing still, I waited patiently.

“Look at that kid. What’s she doing?” Someone whispered behind me.

“Hi there.” Someone said, causing me to turn around. “Do you know where you are?”

I gave the group a look. “Of course I do. Why would I be here?”

“But you’re just a kid. You can’t be older than eight.” Another said.

“Actually I’m nine. And yes, I do know where I am. This is Shino Academy for Shinigami. I’m a first year.” I said, giving a soft smile.

They looked like their eyes popped out of their head. “How did you pass?” They asked, surprised.

I shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Next.” The lady at the table said. I turned to face her. “Name?”

“Kohaku Usagi.” I say softly.

She looked up and smiled. “So you’re the child prodigy.” She gave me a paper and directed me to the next table.

“Thank you ma’am.” I said.

I walked away towards the next table. It was labeled ‘Uniforms’. Smiling slightly, I skipped over to the stand. I noticed the clothes. It was like a kimono. White tops and blue or red pants. Girls and boys I’m guessing. I stopped at the desk and looked at the bored expression on the person’s face.

“Excuse me.” I said quietly.

He immediately straightened up. “How may I help you?” He smiled while studying my face.