Chapter 15

"You know what, Kohaku?" Yoruichi said, staring at the starry night sky, "It's kind of scary how mature you are." 

           I giggled, "A lot of people say that to me because it throws them off from what they expect. I guess it's just my personality or maybe the way I was raised. During my time back in the districts of the soul society, I lived with my grandma, but she got sick a lot so I needed to do things that normally a child wouldn't do."

           "I'm sure she would be proud of you now," she said warmly, but the look soon changed into concern, "Haven't you ever played around like a normal kid?"

           "Like I said, it's my personality. I like to do work rather than play around, so I guess you could say I'm an adult in a child's body," I gave a small smile.

______________________________________________________________________________ 

           I guess you could say I've been quite busy lately. With my daily duties and some paper work along with my training sessions with Yoruichi late at night, I've become a bit tired, even to the point where I often walk around with black bags under my eyes. Lieutenant Kuchiki gets concerned whenever I have them, thinking I've been bullied by some other squad members. He knows about my history of having bullies back at the academy, so he tries to protect me as much as possible because against full grown men, I may not be able to hold my ground. 

         Last night's training ran longer than usual, so I got back later. The moon's light didn't shine where I was going, and, because I suck at sensing spiritual pressure, I ended up walking into someone. Why was it that every time I ran into someone, I was the one that always falls? I couldn't exactly make out the person's silhouette, so, getting up, I bowed an apology, too tired to even mumble the words.

           "Are you alright, Kohaku?" I heard Lieutenant Aizen's voice asked. 

        I gave a squeak of shock, "I'm sorry! I couldn't see in front of me, and I guess I was dosing off too."

        "It's quite alright. Why are you out so late anyway? A little twelve year old girl shouldn't be running around late at night in barracks full of men," he said, amused. 

         "Well, lieutenant, you are forgetting that I am a third seat. Why does everyone forget that?" I reply, slightly irritated at being patronized.

         He gave a small laugh. "Well, third seat, if you can't even sense me in front of you, then you most certainly will not sense someone else." I blush and look away, embarrassed. "Come with me. We'll have some tea at my barracks to wake you up, and then, I'll walk you back to your squad."

         He turned around and began to walk beside me. I was confused for a while, but then remembered that Squad Five's barracks are close to Squad Six's. 

           "If I may ask, why were you going in the opposite direction of your squad?" I asked, confused.

        "A late night stroll," he replied with a soft smile on his face.

         "Oh! Please don't just stop your walk to take me back. I'm sure I'll be fine," I exclaimed. 

         "Not to worry. Being in the company with a friend is much enjoyable for me than going on a walk alone," he said, turning to look at me with a soft smile. 

           I grinned at the word 'friend'. I may not have many friends my age, but I certainly have ones that count the most. He had led the way to his lieutenant's room, which was quite spacious compared to a mine, and invited me inside. After leaving me at his small sit-down table, Aizen returned with two cups of steaming hot tea. Slowly, as the tea cooled, I took small sips, careful not to spill. I was still quite drowsy but forced myself to stay up because that would be rude if I had fallen asleep.