[19] 𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒

potter manor | summer of 1975
morning

       ESTELLA FINALLY WOKE up when the sunlight shined through the window of the guest room she was staying in. The last time Estella had woken up so content, she couldn't even remember. She was grateful that she currently had a place to stay, and she was even more grateful how helpful and supportive James and his mother have been.

      James let Estella borrow some of his clothes and brought her a few extra blankets through the night. He didn't bother on waking her up, he decided on letting her sleep for as long as she needs. He didn't have much do a choice though; unless he wanted a death wish.

      Estella made her way downstairs, only to find that nobody was awake. Fleamont and Euphemia were out running errands, James was probably still asleep in his room, and Sirius was probably giving himself a morning pep talk in the mirror. Estella didn't really doubt that.

      Estella went into the back yard, only to find Sirius in the same position she found him yesterday at the lake. He was in the garden. His usual long messy hair just below his ears and his casual leather jacket, cigarette in hand as always.

      "Those things'll kill you, you know?" Estella interrupted Sirius' thoughts. He whipped his head around to see Estella leaning against the back door of the house.

      "I'm here for a good time," he said, lighting another cigarette. "Not a long time."

      "How inspirational, Romeo." she sassed.

      "How'd you sleep?" Sirius asked, placing the cigarette back to his lips.

      "Great," she smiled. "Nice to know that nobody sleepwalks in this household."

      "I'll gladly sleepwalk if you want me to," he shrugged.

      "Yeah, no. I'll pass." Estella joked.

      "I'm hungry," Sirius groaned. "Hold on, I have an idea," He held up a finger before walking inside of the house again and shouting at the bottom of the stairs.

      "JAMES! LILY IS HERE!"

      James came speeding down the stairs at practically lightning speed. Heavily panting the second he heard Sirius' words. "She's- WHAT?"

      "Nah, man. I was just playing," Sirius chuckled. "Anyways, can you make us breakfast, please?" He stuck out his bottom lip and gave him innocent puppy dog eyes.

      "You- That's why- SIRIUS!" James started to get angry once he realized Sirius' plan. "Really, Padfoot? You really couldn't wait? Or ask Essie? Or better yet, make it yourself?"

      "You never ask a woman to serve you!" Sirius gasped dramatically. "And plus, if she did we'd be at St. Mungo's for a year."

      Estella went to Sirius' side, "Oh, please, as if James cooking were any better."

      "Uh, yes, it is very much so," James placed his palm on his chest. "Anyways, why don't we all cook something?"

      Estella and Sirius shared a knowing look, knowing none of them could cook to save their lives.

      "St. Mungo's, here we come."

𖠰𖠰𖠰
      The four kids were making a mess in the Potter Manors kitchen. There was a mess of flour, water, and a mix of every other ingredient they used on the counter.

      Estella had yet again another one of James' sweaters. She automatically realized how stupid she felt for not packing more of her clothes. She contemplated whether or not going back to the Foster Manor, but she felt that she had made enough stupid choices in one week.

      James, Sirius, and Estella decided to surprise Mr. and Mrs. Potter with breakfast. As a thank you from Sirius and Estella and more as an excuse for more food for James.

      Estella was cutting up some vegetables for the omelette, until she felt a tug on her sweatshirt. She turned around when she saw James, trying to hold in his mischievous grin. That's when Estella knew he was up to no good.

      "Wh-"

      Sirius, who was behind Estella now, pulled the back of her sweatshirt and dropped fresh ice cubes down her back.

      "UGHH!" Estella gasped at the sudden shivers going through her sweatshirt. "Sirius Black, you arse! You are so dead!"

      Estella grabbed some flour from the pancake mixed at threw it straight at Sirius' face. His face was now caked white with pancake mix.

      Sirius, who was trying to get back at her again, grabbed some flour to try and do the same thing she did to him back to her. He threw it with very bad aim. Just in time, Estella moved out of the way, leaving whoever was behind her to handle it. It was James who had dealt with the flour to his face.

      James froze for a second before wiping some flour out of his eyes. The other two kids were staring at the messy haired boy, trying to read his face to determine his next move, which was currently expressionless.

      "You two," James said expressionlessly. "Are so dead."

      He grabbed a handful of flour out of the bowl in each hand for the two kids. He threw it at them both aimlessly, but somehow still managed to get it to hit them both. The three were not recklessly fighting with their food like children again.

      The three children heard the lock of the front door click, knowing that James' parents said they wouldn't be back for a while. Still covered in flour, the trios hand went straight to their pockets distinctively. They walked closer towards the door before finally holding up their wands in front of them defensively.

      The door opened slowly with a woman taking behind it, "And then I- What in Merlin's name is going on in here?!"

      It was in fact, not an intruder, but the two owners of this very house.

      The three kids stood in front of the couple awkwardly, finally having no excuse for their actions for once.

      "Well- er- with everything that's going on, we thought maybe you were Death Eaters or something," James finally responded.

      "Now I don't know what Death Eaters you've met, but next time, I'll make sure to invite the Death Eaters that knock first to my tea party," Euphemia sighed in disappointment, pinching her upper nose.

      Fleamont looked dazed, looking at the three guilty looking kids in confusion, his gaze switching between the three uncomfortably.

      "Go clean yourselves up," Euphemia ordered. "Let's stay away from the kitchen now, yes?"

      Meanwhile, Fleamont eyes still had a confused look written all over his face, clearly not understanding the current situation.

      The guilty kids nodded before heading upstairs to clean themselves up. Euphemia noticed that her husband was still confused, and needed some kind of confirmation.

      "Erm- I could be wrong, but, last time I checked, I thought we only had one child?" Fleamont blinked. "Where did those come from?"

i love fleamont and euphemia