13. Slow down

Bringing up a new bed from town into the dojo ended up being less difficult than you anticipated. You managed to carry the bed frame parts and the mattress by yourself in one trip, careful not to hit anyone as you passed.

As you closed the door behind you, you were greeted with golden eyes.

"Hello Akaza." You looked up at him briefly before breezing past him.

"Y/N Chan," He started as he followed after you, his chin resting on top of your head, "You're so much stronger than when I first found you." He mused.

"Ya huh," you continued walking to the bedroom and placed the items you carried aside. You padded away from the demon to get a broom and began sweeping up the debris to clear the space for your new bed.

He studied you closely, "Your battle will is refining nicely. You're going to be an excellent demon!" There was a lilt of excitement in his voice, but you did not bear the same sentiment.

You bagged up the debris quietly and hurled the bag out the window once you got it all. "Akaza, we need to talk." You looked over at him with a blank expression. He seemed to be momentarily stunned by your seriousness. He gave you a nod and sat cross legged on the floor, silently watching your movements.

You turned your back to the demon and went on to assembling your bed,  attaching the parts together and screwing them in place. Once the mattress was on, you sat in front of it, crisscross and facing  the demon.

"Why didn't you tell me about demons' weakness to the sun?" You spoke quietly, searching his face for any kind of reaction. You had learned of it in your time with the Demon Corps. "Or the fact demons are constantly hunted by a human organisation?"

He tsked quietly, "I was going to tell you when you grew closer to being ready. You agreed to become a demon without asking about things like that. But, I wasn't hiding it from you." He spoke rather calculated, his eyes scrutinizing you. 

You huffed quietly, looking down at your lap. "When I was taken by Douma, he said he could turn me into a demon at that moment and that I didn't have to be strong to become one. Was that true?"

"Yes."

"Then why did you decide to wait?"

Akaza paused, "Because what good is being a demon, something you should be worthy of, if you are weak? Weaklings do not deserve such an honor."

"Do you think I am weak, then? Do I disgust you?" You murmured, your hands gripped into fists.

"No." He started, but you cut him off.

"Then what do You think of me?" Your voice cracked. You could feel the conflicting emotions you harboured inside bubble up inside of you. What if he was just toying with you? Were demons capable of love? Were you just blindly following a man who only wanted good competition?

"Y/N."

Your gaze snapped up to his face, which was screwed up in a confused expression.

"I think you are strong, a valuable sparing partner, and mine." He drew in closer with every word, his hand gripped your chin and pulled your face up to look him in the eyes as he said 'mine.' "The last thing I'd want for you is your death by anyone's else's hands. "

Your breathing hitched as you looked him.  Was this his convoluted way of saying he wanted you? You weren't too sure. "Akaza-"

"Akatsuki Y/N. Are you having second thoughts about being with me?" His words went as cold as his gaze did.

You didn't need long to come up with your answer. "No. I was wondering that about you." He drew in closer, his expression softening.

"I do not regret my time with you," he murmured, brushing the hair from your face, causing your cheeks to heat up. You clenched your eyes tight as you leaned in quickly and kissed him. You moved away just as fast as you moved in, but he followed after you, gripping the back of your neck as he pulled you back into a kiss.

You huffed a bit as you returned the kiss. He shifted his positioning to pull you in closer. He didn't show any signs of relenting. It was as though you were being met with nothing but indescribable desire. Your hands drifting to his toned chest, your lip trembling as you pushed him away as best as you could. You had to stop him before you were too much of a mess to collect your thoughts.

He blinked when he felt you push at him, but he moved back regardless. He waited as you wheezed and panted, a chuckle leaving him as he licked the taste of your lips off of his mouth.

"E-Excuse me, I should go start cooking if I want to eat lunch," You sprung to your feet as you came up with a reason to leave. Your face felt like it was going to melt off as you scurried through the door.

You weren't followed to the kitchen, which gave you time to calm your nerves. You began boiling rice and dicing vegetables.  You never cooked too much, considering your companion didn't seem to eat anything other than humans. He did seem to enjoy tea, so you were always sure to make enough for him to have, eating alone was rather uncomfortable to you.

You drifted off into thought as you sliced onions, your head tilting to the side. You were a little surprised by how possessive the demon was of you. It felt.... nice to say the least. It wasn't as though you were kept prisoner or treated like a doll, but he didn't wish you to leave or be in the arms of another.

You began slicing pork after you put the onions on the stove, eying them every now and then to make sure you didn't need to stir it at that moment.

"Y/N, are you avoiding me now?" You nearly jumped out of your skin when you felt muscular arms wrap around your waist. You had impulsively turned the knife you were holding and gabbed it into the demon's side, only for it to bend rather than impale.

"AH! You- ugh," You huffed as he pressed in closer to you, his head resting on top of yours. "Don't just sneak up on me."

"You should be aware of your surroundings at all times." He pointed out , eying your work.

You narrowed your eyes but didn't argue with him, "it's not my fault you move so fast and so quietly, " You pulled a different blade to continue cutting the meat, grumbling at the fact you  damaged a perfectly good knife on him. "And I'm not avoiding you, I'm making Gyudon."

He nodded slightly, swaying with you gently. "Y/N, is there something you want before you become a demon?" He asked abruptly.

Something you wanted? What could you want? What could you want from him? He had done so much for you already.

"Can I get back to you on that?" You said simply.