39. Book 2: Puzzle pieces

How unfortunate it was that it rained on that New years eve.

"It's fine, we can just stay in," You assured him over the phone as you watched the droplets hit your window pane. "There's always next year..."

Silence hung for a short while before he replied, "yeah... you're right."

Your new years was pretty uneventful, it was really like any other day.

By the time you and Hakuji were getting closer to finishing the second journal, you were already past your first anniversary.

"Why did Akatsuki have to write this in detail?" You whined covering your eyes and rolling around on the bed.

"I mean, it is basically a diary. But wow, they really went at it. At least they didn't break the bed like in the wedding ent- ACK! " the male knocked back into the mattress when he was struck in the face with a pillow.

"Shut up, shut up, shut up! " You were beet red as you started smothering him, but he couldn't stop laughing.

"You'll kill me!" He snickered as he managed to grab your weapon and push it away. "I apologize. though it was funny seeing how red you got reading that," he gently pushed the hair from your face to cup your cheek.

You pressed against his hand before you swiftly turned your head to bite him, earning yourself a yelp as he recoiled.

"Fuck! What is with you and biting me?!" He wheezed, holding his hand defensively. Despite how much he complained, you could see his ears had gone red.

"What's with you making fun of me?" You huffed before you rested your head on his chest. "I have to defend my honor," you pressed your hand to your heart.

"How would you feel if I bit you everytime you made fun of me?" He grumbled.

"I'd do it more."

Silence hung for a moment before you both burst into a fit of laughter. Upon looking at the time, you started to sit up to get off the bed, but you were stopped by him wrapping his arms around you and pressing his head against the square of your back.

"Where are you going?" He inquired.

"I said I'd meet with Kazuo today. He might have something on Akatsuki in his house."

"Right, good luck," he released you from his hold. "Tell me if you learn anything new. "

-

"Moriyama Teruo? That's my great great grandfather," Kazuo said simply as he picked at his sandwich. "Why do you know his n-"

"Nevermind that!" You jumped in, quickly quieting back down. "Do you have any information about him at all?"

The male shrugged a bit, "nothing really interesting. He claimed for have fought demons, and said he was present when the original demon was brought to death. Other than that, he lived a peaceful rest of his life."

You paused at the mention of the original demon being killed. So that meant the unnamed creator of demons was no longer around...

"Did he ever write the name of the original demon down?"

"Why are you so interested in some folk tale?" He scoffed.

"Please, Kazuo?" You pleaded, determined to put a name to the man.

He tsked before he spoke, "Kibutsuji Muzan. That was the name. He claimed that man killed hundreds of slayers the night of the final battle, including most of the highest ranking ones," he bit into his food.

"I see..." you tapped the counter gently with your fingers. You pieced together that was the man Akatsuki wrote so highly of, but also feared. They were thankful for the power, but feared disappointing him.