3. Sweet and Sour

"Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

William woke up with a feeling of a new beginning. The night of the ball had been a success and in spite of his stone-cold demeanour that always kept the ladies at bay, he was certain he had charmed Lady Caldwell. Now, he simply had to keep the act up and successfully stand at the altar with her. 

Lord Caldwell had made it evident he wanted William to marry his daughter and the way his daughter had swooned at his site, everything else was pretty easy.  He woke up with a broad smile which was a rare sight for the people in his estate. Everyone restrained themselves from stopping to look at their lordship who looked more handsome than ever.

His footman prepared his tea and handed him the daily Ledger. He didn't want to sour his mood by reading the feeble ways Ledger tried to sullen his family name and save their face.

His butler announced his younger brother Sebastian and Nicholas had come to visit him. His family had retired to their country home during summer to get away from the heat of the scandal while he had stubbornly stayed in London. So, it was quite a surprise his brothers were in his estate.

When he reached the parlour to greet his brother he found them conversing with his father while his mother was instructing his butler to prepare luncheon for all of them. He couldn't believe his family had planned a coup and taken over his estate without him finding out. He ought to find another estate that none of his family members will be aware of.

He had greeted all of them and his mother berated him along with his younger brother for not visiting them enough while his father simply chuckled to himself.

As they sat in the parlour, it was very obvious his parents were ecstatic with having all his children together again. Sebastian and Nicholas bantered as always and everything was happy and well in his home till his older brother and his wife joined them for luncheon. How he hated the uncomfortable silence! Everyone was aware of his disposition with their marriage and the awkwardness only increased.

"William," Oliver was the first to speak up, "How are you? How is parliament?"

"I am well. As for the parliament, they decided to not make me the president of the party. The Kentshire scandal has only started to calm down and can put the party at a disadvantage," William replied plainly. He was never the one for the sugarcoated words and he wanted them to feel remorse.

"It is their loss," Sebastian said munching on his muffin, "They should know better than that."

"There must be some way, William. I know that brain of yours has already started working on the strategy," Nicholas added.

"Indeed," William continued, "I am going to marry Lady Caldwell, daughter of the earl of Caldwell."

"What!" Nick, Seb, and his father sputtered at the same time.

"How will getting married is going to get you the presidency?" His mothers asked baffled.

"Marrying the daughter of the Earl who is one of the members of the council will certainly clear my path to success," William continued unaffected by the stares of everyone. It was a hidden barb for his brother who married a woman below his station and was ostracized by society.

"Now, you listen here William Kentshire, you will not marry for political gains. I will not allow it," His mother announced.

"Think about it son, what if Lord Caldwell finds out? What will Lady Caldwell feel when she finds out the reason you married her was for selfish gains?" His father asked.