27. Time Of Truth

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."― Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

William was quick on his feet.

"Where?" William quickly turned around panicking, "Sorry, ya my friend. I came to meet ya without telling but do not scare me like this I almost shit my pants."

Half of the people went back to doing their business, not paying heed to the two men. William needed to make sure they were all alone out of the sight of everyone. 

"You know I need some money, my friend," William said unashamedly. 

"Everything okay there lad?" Someone shouted in the dimly lit stable.

"Yes, this is my friend from the village. I will take care of him," He replied to whoever had called out to him. He went forward and held William's arm shoving him to the other side.

"My lord, you are horrible at acting," He said surprising William. He never expected anyone else other than Kathalina to speak to him so unabashed.

"What do you want?" He asked.

"I need to meet Lady Kathalina."

"Why?"

"That." William wanted to say it was none of his business but if he needed a favour from this man he would need to appease him.

"I have to ask for forgiveness from her ladyship," William said sincerely. The other man stared at William for some time trying to find if he was lying.

 "I am only doing this because Lady Kathalina has been miserable ever since she returned from the manor. She walked like a ghost that day when I brought her back. I knew it was something you did that made her like that and I am only helping you so that her ladyship will be happy again," He said narrowing his eyes.

When William nodded, he signalled him to walk behind him. They made way through what seemed like the servants' quarters. It was past midnight and everyone was exhausted. Some people gave suspicious glances at William's intimidating figure but everything was handled perfectly by the man leading him.

"You wait here, if anyone asks tell them you are Timmy's friend," He said.

William stood beside the door where Timmy entered. He patted himself on the back for not screaming at Timmy for hurrying up and what was he doing inside?

"Sheela," Timmy's voice was heard faintly outside, William's ears perked up. He slightly opened the door further to hear the conversation.

"Please tell me, her ladyship has retired to her chamber and her despicable fiance has left," Timmy said almost begging.

"Timmy, her ladyship is getting married a day after. How can you still be infatuated with her when you know it is going to end in heartbreak?"

"I am not infatuated with her ladyship. I admire her," Timmy said protesting.

"Same thing different words," The lady said paying no heed to Timmy.

"No, it's not. Her ladyship taught me the words, they mean different things," Timmy continued his protest.

"Like you know all the words and their meaning in the language,"   The woman said exasperated.

"At least I know more than you," Timmy said proudly.

William held himself back from interfering. Seriously, do they even have time for this?

"Get out, you pompous bastard. And go find someone else to bother to find if her ladyship is well or not from next time. For today her ladyship has already retired to her chamber," Sheela said, shoving Timmy out of her quarter when he tried to thank her.