28. Betrayal

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."― Arthur Miller

William knew he had opened up the pits of hell when he confirmed he was part of the news published in the Ledger of her Library debacle.

But he was here to tell her the entire truth and then he would accept whatever punishment she would give him.

"I can explain everything," William said earnestly.

"Does it matter?" Kathalina said tersely.

"It does, it matters, please listen to me," He said begging, "I want to be truthful to you. I do not want to be a deceiving lying politician to you. I want to be only me in front of you."

Kathalina glared at William.

"Let's have a seat," Kathalina said monotonously, "Let's tell each other all the truths and see if we can forgive each other."

"Kate," William said in agony. It was like their role was reversed. She was now stone cold and William could barely contain what he felt.

"You should start first since you took so much effort to come here," Kathalina said sharply.

"Kate," William whispered once again, hoping she would be back to herself and not act so coldly with him.

When Kate didn't budge, William had no choice but to speak his truth. He didn't have much time and he couldn't go back without accomplishing what he came here to do. He needed to speak his truth not to ease her but free himself from the guilt.

"It is true that I was behind your library escapade published in the ledger," William said his eyes on his feet, he couldn't look at her. 

"It is true but not in the way everyone thinks," He continued, glancing at her. She was trying her hardest to control the tears threatening to fall.

William moved without thinking, embracing her once again. Kathalina didn't make effort to move away but neither did she embraced him back. It broke William's heart, he wish he could change the past but then he would have never known her, never known love. 

He was living a happy carefree life before she came into his life like a hurricane but he wouldn't want to change anything. If not for everything that happened he would have never realised how much of his soul belonged to her.

"It is silly, so stupid of me to get drunk that night," William started still holding her, "I was frustrated that Oliver didn't think of my career, that I have to pretend in front of the world.  The world thought all of us Kentshires stood together for Oliver and my family thought I was against them with the world and I ended up all alone. No one paused to think how much I had to give up. It is not fair."

William took a pause breathing in so as to not completely break down in front of her. No one understood how deeply he was impacted by the things happening around him. That his dreams and the career that he worked for would be snatched away from him in an instant by the actions of those close to him.

"I didn't let selfish thoughts take over. No one owed me their life. But that night everything came crashing down on me and I, like every other silly man drowned myself in liquor," He said tears falling freely.  

"I was so inebriated that when a party member came to me about how he can use your name against your father by seemingly harmless news in the ledger I didn't think much and gave my consent."

Kathalina jerked herself away from him at his confession.

"Do you mean to tell me you were intoxicated while you decided to add more stain to my reputation?" Kathalina asked angrily.