26. The Game Plan

Everybody has a game plan, but the plan changes after the first punch. -Cris Cyborg

William couldn't stand watching her. Her face was covered in more face powder than ever. Her cheekbones were hollow and coated with ugly artificial blush erasing her beautiful freckles. Her hair was coloured with a darker shade making them look almost brownish rather than fiery red. Her posture was stooped like she was trying to hide her height next to her fiance and her dress felt like it was hung on a thin tree rather than her wearing for she had grown thinner than the last time William saw her.

William walked right in front of the couple, her twinkling eyes were void of all the sparkle and coated in another layer of powder. Her face pulled into a fake smile which vanished when she noticed William standing there. She looked away trying to pull her mask up again failing miserably.

"Congratulations on the nuptials, my lord, my lady," Oliver's voice sounded from one side of William making him come back to reality.

"Lord Ketshire," Lord Adam replied cheerily his attention on Oliver while William's attention stood solely focused on the woman beside him, "I am so glad you could join us for such a happy occasion."

"Lord William, glad you could join us too," Lord Adam said turning to William, "Let me introduce you to my fiance, Lady Kathalina Liverpool. You must have known her," He said with a mockery in his voice, "After all her father is the one always standing against you in the parliament."

Lord Adam's words weren't lost on anyone. Everyone understood what he was trying to say. Hannah pulled William away subtly before there could be a full out brawl. But Hannah was wrong, he didn't care one bit what Lord Adam was saying for all his attention was focused on Kathalina. 

Kathalina looked up one last time at retreating William, her eyes full of sadness. William turned around and walked towards the exit. He was not staying in this place one more second than necessary. They greeted the couple, and gave their congratulation, it was time for them to leave.

"William," Hannah said pulling him to the side while Oliver used his charms on the guest looking at them suspiciously. William understood the predicament and moved them to a more secluded place on the estate.

"I am going back," William announced.

"I am not going to babysit one more grown man tonight," Hannah said exasperated, "So, we go back we do what we come here to do and then leave."

"Hannah, I cannot stay here. You don't understand how difficult it is for me to watch her," William said his voice wavering.

"I understand, William," Hannah said calmly, "I was at your place. I was serving Lady Caro while she was supposed to marry Oliver. But we are here to tell Kathalina the truth and you will do it for your own sake. I do not want you to go through regrets for the rest of your life."

"Hannah, even if I tried to tell her the truth, there is no way I can get her alone," William said equally irritated, "She is surrounded by people all around. Now, unless you want me to announce it to the entire audience in there I do not see a way to talk to her."

"Not a bad idea," Oliver chimed in which earned him unbelievable looks from Hannah and William, "or not." He added.

"I cannot believe you are supposed to be smarter among all four," Hannah said annoyed, ignoring her husband's protest at the remark. 

"Any idiot would know it is impossible to talk to Lady Liverpool right now but after all the guest goes home and everyone retires to their chambers you will have the chance to speak to her," Hannah said, "Now, how would you know how to reach her chamber if you do not know how Liverpool estate look like from the inside."

Understanding dawned on William, she was absolutely right. He needs to scour the place for possible openings and make sure he can get into the estate after the celebration was over. He needs to find which one was Kathalina's chamber and the way to it and he will need a disguise.

Today was the best time to infiltrate the estate as there must be a number of service people in the estate only for the soiree. They would still be working in the estate after everyone had left. It was a perfect opportunity.

"You are a genius, wife," Oliver remarked, his eyes shining with love and pride.

"Thank you, husband," She replied smiling.

"Now, shall we get back? We have an entire estate to spy on," Oliver spoke directly for the first time.

"Oliver," William said hesitatingly, "Are you alright with this?"

"No," Oliver said, "I wished you would have not let her go the moment you realised you loved her. You had so many chances that you squandered. I hope you won't make the same mistake again."

"I won't," William replied.

All of them made their way back into the ballroom. Their only goal was to find as many entrances into the estate to determine the best one and find Kathalina's room without raising suspicion.

It was more difficult than William imagined. The entertainment area for the guest was completely separated from the living quarters of the family and service people. With his noble attire, William couldn't walk to the side of his living quarters.

Hannah and Oliver weren't having much luck either. Everyone in the audience wanted to speak and gain favours with Oliver and his wife who rarely have been seen at the balls. They were trying to cover up all the nasty words they said during their wedding by acting with that fake friendliness.

Time passed away quickly. Even though the celebration was still in progress the Kentshire had overstayed with how they stood with the Liverpool especially due to Lord William. They were back in the carriage to the Kentshire manor everyone deep in thoughts on how to infiltrate the Liverpool estate.

"Do you have anything, William?" Hannah asked breaking the silence, "We sadly couldn't find anything."

"I know where the living quarters of the family are. I need to make sure I enter the right one," William said worriedly. If he makes even the slightest mistake it could turn into a disaster real quick.

William didn't have a solid plan which didn't sit very well with him. He was always the meticulous one, planning everything to the smallest detail but this time he doesn't have time for it. He had to trust Kathalina's way, getting a disguise and barging in hoping for the best. 

He ordered for hackney and dressed himself up in dull old worn-out clothes which were difficult to find as his butler refused to share with him the clothes of the servants. He paid the hackney driver in abundance and asked him to wait as long as he wants.

He waited in front of the Liverpool estate in cold and dark for what seemed like hours till the last guests had left and the service people started working. He knew the estate will not be sleeping tonight with the wedding just a day away. They need to prepare at the night.

William slipped inside the estate with the excuse of fetching his drunken lord and made his way straight to the stables. He finally found the person he was looking for, the carriage driver who stood outside his estate all night for his lady.

He would beg if he had to but he will make sure this person help him find Kathalina.

As soon as that person noticed William, he immediately recognized him.

"Milord," He said, alerting everyone working there. 

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.