8. Miracle

She was a fool. The world was made of miracles, unexpected earthquakes, storms that came from nowhere and might reshape a continent. The boy beside her. The future before her. Anything was possible."― Leigh Bardugo, Crooked Kingdom

After racking her brains for days, Kathalina didn't have a concrete plan to make William Kentshire work with her to find out the culprit. There was nothing much that she could offer to him to strike up a deal and she decided the best course of action will be to befriend him. Or she could always annoy him to death so he won't have any other choice but to help her. Maybe she should strike a deal to leave him alone forever if he helped her out this time. That sounded good enough.

Kathalina had arrived early at the ball, her eyes fixed on the entrance. She couldn't afford to lose him in the crowd and miss an opportunity. She needed to keep an eye on him at all times so whenever the chance presented itself she could use it to her best. She waited for so long that she thought he might not even attend the ball. 

Kathalina almost jumped in her place when she saw him entering the ballroom. She started walking toward him, she had waited long enough and she was going to drag him and make him see her way. She stopped in her track when she saw a woman on his arm and all other eyes just like her riveted to the couple.

It was a rare sight. She had never seen him coming to the ball with any woman. He only danced with his mother, Lady Kentshire, and his sister in law but she was confident the woman in his arms was not either of the women.

Kathalina moved from behind the shadows toward the couple that were being greeted by their friends. She had to stay unnoticed and observe for a while, most precisely find out who this woman was! Kathalina watched them dancing, they parted ways but they were always within each other's reach. It was so annoying. It seems she might not get the chance tonight.

Kathalina was getting frustrated. At every ball, William Kentshire was always with that woman. She didn't know he loved to attend the balls so much. By now she had figured out who the woman was, the daughter of Lord Caldwell, the man who lost against her father for the position of prime minister.

She heard many rumours of them being courting each other and planning to marry soon. But she would never believe a thing till she hears it from William himself. She was certain it was ton trying to spread rumours about him.

She had to do something. If this goes on any longer she would never be able to fulfil her mission. She was watching them dance once again on the dance floor when suddenly they broke free and walked towards the refreshments. She needed to make her presence known.

She felt a sort of triumph when William blanched noticing her in front of him. She looked straight in his eyes her lips curving slightly to show him she saw through him and walked away without turning back. She hoped he will try and seek her out but knowing that stubborn man it was unlikely to happen. She made her presence known to William and for tonight that was enough.

She was on the dimly lit balcony on the second landing looking out at the stars. Without the moon, the stars shone brighter tonight. She was standing in one of the corners alone observing everyone around her.

The ladies were standing in small groups occasionally glancing at the men standing a few yards apart, giggling and whispering amongst themselves. While some of the lords looked at the lady they desire with longing and some were filled with air on receiving such attention from them. She noticed some were the rare ones, that had love-filled eyes for each other. She soon got bored and stared at the starry sky.

Someone coughed behind her. She waved her hand dismissing the person so as not to forget the count of the stars in the sky. Before she could complete her counting she was dragged by a strong male into the dark alcove.

"My lady," He spoke.

Even though she didn't see his face she knew who could it be and his deep voice confirmed it. Slowly, their eyes adjusted to the darkness around them and could outline each other. They weren't visible to anyone unless someone looked very carefully.

"My lord," She said staring at him. Her heart started racing fast, she must be coming down with something. She should get it checked out with her old maid. She was here to say something but she couldn't process her words.

"You," She said abruptly, "I need you."

William backed away light reflecting on his face, scrunched up in confusion.

"We are going to work together. Yes," She continued scolding herself to get it together, "We need to find the culprit. Together." 

He closed his eyes, sighing.

"I am afraid I can't help you, my lady," He said in low voice, not wanting to attract attention to them.

"Why not?" She said pouting, "Is it because of her?"

He raised his brow and then it dawned on him, she was talking about Lady Caldwell. Of course, everyone in the ton has now found out about their courtship and everyone was awaiting the announcement of their betrothal.

"Yes," He said, "It is because I am soon to be married. I won't have time to take part in your endeavour nor will it be appropriate."

"But why are you marrying her?" She asked like she couldn't believe he was such a buffoon to marry her.

"And why can't I?" He counteracted.

"Well, you both don't look good together," She blurted.

"And why is that?" He asked with an edge to his tone.

Kathalina didn't know the answer to the question but she couldn't stand there like a fool.

"Hair," She blurted the first thing that came to her mind.

"Hair?" He said annoyed.

"Yes, you both have dark hair and pale complexion. If you both wore black you will look like a vampire couple and it won't look good," She said confidently.

He chuckled at her made-up answer making him shine brighter than all the stars she counted and she was awestruck. She ought to run around shouting miracle. William Kentshire could laugh.

She joined him in the small laugh. They both stopped after some time and stood in silence looking anywhere but at each other.

"Three days from now at noon, meet me at the Hyde garden's back entrance dressed in your disguise," He spoke after some time.

"Really? Does that mean you will help me?" She asked excitedly.

"I will simply point you in the right direction and after that, you ought to leave me alone," He said.

"But.." She protested.

"That is the deal, take it or leave it," He said cutting her off.

"Shake on it," She said after pondering over it.

"What?" William asked stupefied.

She extended her delicate hand, a gentlemen's deal. She was a lady, for god sake. But William swallowed his words after all she was never ladylike.

He took her gloved hand in his. She surprised him by shaking his hand strongly. Their hand stayed in each other and slowly they let go till their fingers touched and then both walked in two directions back to their world.

Kathalina walked back to the ball with butterflies in her stomach. She knew she was in big trouble when she couldn't stop herself from smiling and her face was coated with blush.

William walked with an uncomfortable feeling in his heart and a scorching trace in his palm.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.