18. Rays of Hope

"Hope is a waking dream." ― Aristotle

"What is wrong with Lady Hannah? I read the announcement in the ledger that she was in the family's way" Kathalina asked once they were on their way to Kentshire Manor.

"I am not certain either," William said calmly, while worry was trying to cloud his mind. He needed to maintain his calm composure. The first thing he must do is to check on Hannah and then bring his older brother from the pits of hell if that maybe.

"Do not worry," Kathalina said, placing her hand on his, "Everything will be alright."

William looked at her, really looked at her. She was in her garb once again, his tailcoat too big for her. Her fiery red hair tucked inside his big hat haphazardly. Her eyes gleamed with the assurance that she will be by his side. He locked her hand in his, thankful for her.

She came to him yesterday, in desperation and fear. He wished he didn't have to go to Kentshire Manor. He wanted to hold her in his arms and take away everything that made her unhappy. He wanted her to tell him what had happened, to confide in him, to trust him with her secrets. He vowed to destroy anyone who might have even dared to think ill of her.

He cursed his ill fate. He had to let go of the woman who had pushed all her problems and worries to the back of her mind and worried about him. Would anyone ever love him like this? Would he accept anyone else love's like this? Probably not.

They reached Kentshire manor and it was chaos everywhere. Kathalina followed William inside, it was her first time visiting Kentshire manor. Though being rich and powerful, Kentshire never hosted any soirees or balls in Kentshire manor. Only the most intimate of their relatives and friends were allowed here.

She was amazed by the beauty of the place. It was no less than a royal palace but along with luxury, there was a feeling of home that made you feel safe and calm. It was tantalizing that Kathalina forgot why they came to the manor in the first place.

She was looking around when she noticed all the maids and the servicemen were anxiously standing in the alcoves and near the stairs. Kathalina noticed the butler reaching to William hastily.

"My lord," He said breathing heavily, "Lady Hannah has gone into labour. The midwife has been called they are currently in her bed-chamber. I have sent the footmen to the palace to notify Lord Oliver but it seems they are facing difficulties. I have also sent a missive to Raymond to his Lordship."

"Why did everyone leave her alone when she was going to go into labour?" William barked.

"Er, my lord," the butler spoke hesitantly, "She is in her seventh month only."

"What does that have to do!" William felt a pinch on his arm before he could complete his sentence. He looked back at Kathalina surprised.

"It is uncommon to go into labour in the seventh month of pregnancy. It could affect the health of the child and the mother. Stop asking questions to your butler you are making him uncomfortable," She explained.

William turned to look at his butler who was fidgeting clearly uncomfortable. 

"Have you called the doctor?" William asked.

"My lord, the midwife is present," He answered.

"The doctor," William emphasized, "Call the doctor immediately."

William made way to the stairs towards Hannah's chamber and he was stopped by his butler once again.

"My lord," He squeaked.