9. Freckles

"We have much to talk about, love." Deliberately he tugged at the ends of the lace scarf that had been tucked into her bodice. "But first, about those freckles..."― Lisa Kleypas, Devil in Disguise

Kathalina was at the back entrance of Hyde Park, hiding her face in the big hat. She was early, waiting for him, her foot tapping rapidly on the grass below.

He soon appeared in his Kentshire carriage, his shiny tailcoat glistening befitting his body. His black hair was slicked back and he made his way towards her making her heart thump loudly.

William stood in front of her, his eyes looking for someone in the distance. 

"My lady," He greeted without looking at her.

"My lord," She replied.

Kathalina moved closer trying to make him look at her but he walked forward leaving her behind. She followed him grudgingly, pouting.

"There," He spoke, facing her, "The man with a grey hat and a cigarette in his hand."

"Where?" She asked trying to locate the person he was speaking of.

When she didn't get an answer from him she faced him to find him staring at her with wide eyes.

"What's wrong, my lord," She asked, scrunching her nose.

"Nothing," He said shaking his head, "Tell that man, you want to buy a horse."

"Why? I don't want to buy a horse," She said innocently.

"He doesn't sell horses, my lady, it is a secret code," He said, "He is a private investigator, he will find whatever you want to find out for the right price."

"Why the secret code?" She asked tilting her face to the side.

"His sort of work is not on the right side of the law," William explained.

"Aren't all private investigators the same? I mean, prying into other people's lives without their consent is a crime," She said puzzled.

"True, my lady," He said, "And hence you ought to give up this foolish quest."

Kathalina rolled her eyes, the habit her mistress was trying hard for her to lose. He wasn't giving up trying to stop her and she was not the one to give up so easily.

"Thank you for your help even though you were reluctant from the beginning, my lord," She said with the utmost respect, tipping her hat in the most gentlemanly manner.

"It wasn't a pleasure working with you either, my lady," William said with a tight smile, "This is the end of the road for us. I never wish to meet you ever again. Goodbye."

With that, William walked away, while Kathalina cursed at him once more and walked towards the man waiting under the tree.

**********

She could say her meeting with the man went well. Of course, he was appalled at doing business with a lady but after paying him handsomely he sang the tune she wanted to hear. He promised he would be back with some report at the end of the week and all she had to do now was to wait.

"My lady," Her handmaid called her, "You have a guest."

"A guest?" She said surprised, "For me? Are you certain it is not for my mother?"

"No, my lady. The guest is here to meet with you," Her handmaid confirmed.

"Who in the bloody world wants to meet me?" She muttered, putting on her slippers.

"My lady," Her handmaid stopped her.

"What is it?" She asked irritated.

"Her ladyship has asked you to be present in front of the guest, err, in a more appropriate manner," Her handmaid spoke carefully, "I have picked up a gown for you and I will work on your hairstyle. I think you will look beautiful."

"Ohh, is it!" Kathalina said gritting her teeth, "Tell me by any chance is this guest a lord?"

"Yes, my lady," Her handmaid said excitedly.

"Then I must prepare myself, well," Kathalina said with a fake smile on her face, making her maid release a sigh of relief.

Kathalina let the maid work on beautifying her. She never understood how hiding her freckles on her nose and cheeks with a ton of powder made her look beautiful. Rather, she looked ghastly. But if she goes out with her freckles on display, there will be another article in the ledger describing how ugly she was!

"Is everything alright, my lady?" Her maid asked worried, "You jerked yourself."

"No, no. I am alright, please continue," Kathalina said. She couldn't tell her maid, she went to meet William Kentshire in the noon without hiding her freckles. If her mistress found out she was showcasing her freckles like this, she would hang her. 

She chuckled to herself, remembering the shocked expression of William Kentshire when he looked at her face. Her maid gave her a concerned look which she dismissed by waving her hand.

Kathalina was on her way to one of the balls with her mother and one more lord who has recently taken interest in marrying her. She wondered how long he will last and what reason he will give for rejecting her. Or if he is a power-hungry leech that she needed to kick out.

Kathalina soon spotted Lord William Kentshire in the crowd while he was amicably chatting with his friends. His soon to be fiance was nowhere to be found. Now, how would she make him look at her? 

She turned toward her companion who had asked her for a dance numerous times and she had blatantly refused much to her mother's disappointment. 

"My lord," She said, batting her eyelashes, "The dance floor seems to be less crowded than before." 

"Indeed, it does! Can I have your next dance, my lady?" He asked trying to look smitten. But Kathalina could see through his fake act.

"That would be my pleasure, please lead the way," She said. This was going to make everyone turn their head towards them because Kathalina Liverpool never danced on the ballroom floor.

And so it began!

She was dancing along with the music, not with the man holding her but the man who was aware of her from far off distance. She knew exactly where he was, her gaze flickering everywhere around him but as soon as it goes near him she will avert her eyes with the fear he will catch her.

He was feeling stuffed in his cravat, his attention wavering from the conversation with his companion to the woman dancing on the floor. The woman who has recently popped into his mind far more than he would prefer. He dare not look towards the couple on the dance floor, uncertain what the emotions in his heart will take shape.

So, she glided around him trying to ensnare him and the unwavering stone-cold statue began to melt. 

The dance ended and she finally looked at him. Everything around them blurred. She finally had his attention but all she could do was flee from the sight.

Kathalina found herself in the library after running away from the ballroom from that penetrating gaze. Her heart was beating so loudly that the entire London could hear.

The sound of a door clicking had her turn around to find him enclosed with her in the small room. Kathalina was feeling drunk even though she was certain she didn't even drink a drop of sherry today.

She should greet him as a proper lady should but her mind was hazy and all she could do was look at him walk towards with small measured steps.

"Mmm," Kathalina made a very squeaky noise. His onyx eyes were glistening with an unknown emotion.

 He was close to her, the inch between separating them crackling with electricity. Her lips parted slightly to breathe in, catching his attention.

He made the first move, dipping his head and capturing her lips in his. And then he ravished her mouth.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.