22. Ripples

"You not wanting me was the beginning of me wanting myself thank you" ―Nayyirah Waheed

Kat's heart was broken and it filled her with immense rage. She was certain if she ever face William Kentshire she will murder him with her own hands. He made a fool out of her and yet she couldn't bring herself to hate him. But there was so much hate directed towards herself. She couldn't believe the reality.

He was supposed to be her knight in shining armour, not the one who stabs in her back. Everything that happened between them felt fake. She thought she could read William Kentshire like an open book but was she made to believe that. All along she danced on his fingertips, dreaming about the beautiful future, happy with the thought he wanted the same somewhere in his heart but all those dreams shattered.

She hoped this was a nightmare and she could wake up soon. She lay on her bed staring at the ceiling feeling all her energy drained out. It was an uncomfortable feeling for she never was the one to sit idle and do nothing and yet here she was avoiding life.

It has been days, her wedding preparation had started in full swing. She hadn't left her chamber for so long, she had closed herself off in her world of despair and suffering. Her wedding date was set and now all she has to do was walk the aisle and get married to the man she hates and live all her life closed in another cage.

Her mother had come to ask her to prepare for the ball. Even though it was already in all the newspaper she was marrying Lord Adams the couple was yet to make their presence in any ball together. Kathalina wanted to refuse but a worried look from her mother made her swallow all her emotions and she got ready for the ball.

Lord Adam was late to join his bride to be. Kathalina stood next to her parents silently accepting the congratulations that came her way and spewing lies about her fiance's whereabouts. She had no idea where he was instead of being here with her and she didn't care. She knew who else wouldn't be in attendance, the man she still longed for. Thinking about his name alone would set off the butterflies in her stomach.

She should be angry at him. He did a terrible thing to her and then lied about her making her a fool but the heart wants what it wants. She wanted him to seek her out, tell her that he wasn't the culprit, that her parents were mistaken. Was it too much to even ask for him to come in front just to laugh at her for being a fool he always knew she was?

"Lord Kentshire," Her father voice resounded in her ears. She looked up to see an elderly couple standing in front of them, the Lord and Lady of Kentshire, parents of Kentshire children. She now understood where William got his onyx eyes, they were exactly the same as his father's ocean of pitch-black darkness.

"Lord Liverpool," Lord Kentshire replied, "Many congratulations on the upcoming nuptials of your daughter."

"Yes, thank you," Her father replied calmly, "Many congratulations on the birth of your grandchildren."

The exchange between both the couple was so bland. Their families stood at opposite ends and they didn't really make any efforts to move past the indifference. Most of the time they greeted each other at balls and that was that but Kathalina was never present to witness the conversation ever.

"Thank you very much, my lord, my lady," Lady Kentshire spoke up with exuberance.

"When is the christening?" Her mother asked in vain. Kathalina wished the pretended chit chat to be over soon. She cannot bear the formalities between their families. She didn't understand why they need to even go through this.

"Two days later at Westminster," Lady Kensthire replied, "I should be home going over all the preparation than being here."

"Darling, everything is done. You ought to relax," Lord Kentshire said to his wife and then excused themselves from the Liverpool's.

Kathalina watched as the older couple made their way to the dance floor. She looked back at her parents. The stark realization hit her in the face. She always thought her parents loved each other but now that she carefully watched the Kentshire couple her parent's love paled in comparison.

She frantically looked around the ballroom, her eyes moving from one couple to others discerning who were in love and who were not. Her head started to spin and her breaths became laboured.

"Kathy, Kathy," She heard her parents call out her faintly. The darkness took over.

When she woke up, she was in her bed-chamber. Her worried parents looked at her while the woman beside her checked her nerve. She was not a doctor, she never heard of female doctors in Great Britain or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Kathalina tried to sit up while the woman gave her a strict look not to move. She stayed still till the woman probed her here and there.

"You need not be afraid," The woman said, "She simply lacks energy. Make her eat a lot and tone down on the wedding preparation."

The woman looks told more than what she said through her words. Who was she? And why did her parents bring her instead of a doctor? And was she even qualified to tell what was wrong with her?

"Thank you for your service," Her father said, "You will receive your payments soon."

She left the chamber without any words or a backward glance.

Her father rang for the butler and asked him to get the doctor as soon as possible.

"What is happening? Who was that woman?" Kathalina had so many questions.

"Firstly, you will eat your food and I am going to watch you till you eat every last bit of it," Her mother replied ringing for the maid to bring her food. Her parents stayed tight-lipped while she drank the hot soup.

The doctor arrived soon and did some usual checkups.

"No need to worry, my lady," He said to Kathalina, "You seem to be simply exhausted from the wedding preparation. I am called for this at every house with a bride to be. I know your wedding is going to be only once in your life but do not ignore eating food at right time and take proper rest."

Kathalina was so annoyed at the doctor it showed on her face. The doctor soon realised and stopped his blabbering. He once again assured her parents of her health and made his way out.

"Make sure she is properly taken care of," Her father said, "I will be back in three days."

Her father patted Kathalina's head, planted a kiss on her mother's forehead.

"Where are you going, father?" She asked in a small voice. 

"Your father has to visit Liverpool for some days," Her mother replied.

"I will be back before you know it," Her father said leaving the mother and daughter alone.

"Why so suddenly?" Kathalina asked her mother.

"We do not need to meddle in the affairs of men," Her mother answered simply. Kathalina hated it. She wanted to scream and protest and ask but she refrained.

"Then let's talk about women's affairs. Who was that woman? And why she was here?" Kathalina asked infuriated.

"She was simply here to confirm our doubts," Her mother replied vaguely.

"What doubts?" Kathalina asked suspiciously.

Her mother looked straight at her.

"We wanted to know if you are with a child."

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.