15. Shattering Glass

"Have I shattered enough already, or am I shattering? (And when do I start to build?)"― Will Walton, I Felt a Funeral, In My Brain

Kathalina was in the seventh sky. The night was heavenly. There was no other but her, him and the moon.

Every place he touched still tingled, and every kiss ignited a fire inside her. Even the smallest memory of the night ran a shiver down her spine and brought a big smile to her face. She felt like she was floating.

If you can go to the seventh sky, you can go to the seventh hell as well.

"Lady Kathalina," Her lady's maid spoke as soon as she entered her home.

"Yes," Kathalina spoke, not making an effort to hide her smile.

"What is it?" She asked enthusiastically.

"They are waiting for you in the study, my lady," Her maid spoke solemnly.

Kathalina's smile turned into a frown when she realized who was waiting for her. She paled, fear gripping her heart for she knew nothing good awaits her.

She knocked twice on the door of the study and entered. As expected her father was sitting at his usual place, and her mother was standing near the shelves with a glass of red wine in her hand. She knew she had once more worried her mother for her to be drinking so early in the morning.

But the person she didn't like standing in her study like he owned it was her fiance, Lord Adams. Her fear turned into annoyance and she gritted her teeth.

"Kathy," Her father addressed her, making her stand straight.

"Yes, father," She spoke calmly.

Her father's looks were asking her to behave like a lady.

She was never the one to be afraid of anything but in the situation, she was in she couldn't help but feel her stomach sink.

"Lady Kathalina, my dear fiance" Lord Adam spoke, "You took the entire night, please tell me you found something worthwhile."

Kathalina would have placed herself in the place where she is afraid of her parents but she will be damned if she let him frighten her.

"My lord, please forgive me for my tardiness," She said with a mocking smile, "but Lord Warwick certainly can keep up with liquor, unlike someone we know."

"I must ask if you are better than Lord Warwick in keeping up with liquor or your father lied when he said you remain unaffected by alcohol," He said with a smirk.

Kathalina balled her fist. How dare he!

"It is convenient indeed. There is no place to say you made a mistake because you were inebriated," He continued.

Kat narrowed her eyes, she would have punched him in the face if it was not for her father interrupting her.

"Kathy," Her father said, "Did you find anything important in his estate?"

"How would she understand what is of importance and what is not my lord," Lord Adam said demeaning her.

"Kathy, please let us know all that you found we will decide if you really succeeded in finding something of use," He said disrespectfully.

"It is Lady Kathalina for you," She said her eyes reflecting the fire, "We are not married yet and till that day it is Lady Kathalina to you."

"Why does it matter if it is before the wedding day or after. We are getting married," He said, angered at her for speaking to him disrespectfully.