7. An Exception

"There's an exception to every rule, Nora. And you've never failed at being the exception before."― Marilyn Grey, When the City Sleeps

William was finally able to breathe freely. The last couple of days he has been on his guard. After Lady Kathalina Liverpool ambushed him in his office merely days after barging in his estate, he was always on alert. He was fortunate no one had noticed them together and started some nasty rumours.

He was grateful ton had forgotten her mishaps just as quickly, for he understood the impact her reputation will suffer. Previously, he always use to ignore the rumours and the scandal of the society being at the top of the ladder, unreachable by everyone. But after experiencing it with his own family he wouldn't wish it on anyone. The shame any scandal brings on a well-respected family and a stain that will forever stay on their reputation was difficult for him to digest.

It seemed like she had finally given up on her foolish quest. She had unintentionally warned him about the shadows lurking in the dark showing up their head now that he was vulnerable. Someone was trying to malign his reputation by giving her an impression he was behind that. What a ridiculous and pathetic stunt! He never does things half-hearted. If he wanted to stain her reputation, her family would have been ostracized by the ton.

She was so gullible and whimsical, a danger to herself and the people around her. It was surprising she was not caught in the middle of a big scandal, even the rumours circulating her were so inconsequential. Her father definitely had a lot on his plate with a daughter like her.

The cynical part of him warned him to be on guard not only from the people trying to get him but also from her. This could all be an elaborate plan from her father, to bring not only him but his party down too. After all, since he joined the liberal party he had openly and diligently has always stood against him and won many arguments.

The timing of entering his life was immaculate just when he was trying to salvage the remaining of Kentshire reputation with the Presidency taken from him and shoved into the shadows. She could be bidding her time to strike when the opportunity presents itself. He wish she would go back to her normal life so he could go back to his.

His family had come back to London after spending their summer in the country away from the raging fire of the Kentshire scandal. Everything would never be the same but it was something he was getting used to and finding a way forward. After a tumultuous year, there was finally peace and soon a new life will bloom in their family. He was looking forward to his brother child arriving in this world.

He also planned to get married this year to Lady Caldwell. The courtship was dragging on for too long. He wanted to get it over with quickly after all it was pretty clear what both the parties desired from this union.

He always attended balls and soirees to mark his presence but now he had to stay on long, dancing ridiculous dances while he could be spending his time doing something useful. He needed to make preparations to propose Lady Caldwell before the season ends but she has been strange lately. It has been delaying him to make a marriage proposal.

Lady Caldwell never indicated in any way that she was against the marriage or that she was forced by her father. He understood she was doing this for the sake of her father after all she was a mere pawn in the games of men.

They will not have a love-filled marriage for it was simply impossible. He intend to fulfil his responsibility as much as he can but his ambition was more important to him than playing family, just like her father. Life would be easier with her after all her father was a politician and she would make a perfect wife to another politician understanding all the risks involved, unlike someone.

He had made his intention pretty clear. He wanted a companion that would elevate his position in the parliament and the ton, and she agreed with him wanting nothing but to fulfil his father's wishes.

He didn't claim to know the woman entirely but her strange behaviour had made him uneasy. Before he propose he had to be sure she will follow him as a doting wife abstaining from all ridiculous ventures till the end of his life.

It was common for the people at his position to find a companion outside of their marriage and he had no issues against it as long as the affair stayed hidden forever and after she gave him his heir. He had no qualms against it, but even before they were married, the situation would get too delicate. He ought not to think about his future wife as such after it could all be his nature that always prepares for the worst possible scenario.

William was staring at Lady Caldwell in his arms while he danced with her. And like every other time her gaze seemed to look around searching for someone. Initially, he thought she must be overwhelmed or afraid of him for that's the emotion that arose in others in his presence. He never intended to be feared but his stance had always felt offensive to the other.

He was reminded of the time when he wouldn't have any friends due to his demeanour and had to always tail his older brother. When his younger brothers were born he refused to be around them fearing them they will reject him. He tried so hard to change himself for a long time. It was all futile and his parents had assured him he didn't need to change himself to be likeable. When his brother accepted him he gave up trying to be friendly to anyone around him, reserving his true caring self for his family.

There was no one else apart from his family that wasn't overwhelmed by his strong presence. William jerked away when he realized Kathalina Liverpool didn't show a single sign of being overwhelmed or afraid of him. He chastised himself as to how can it slip from his mind that she was an exception.

"Are you alright, my lord?" He heard Lady Caldwell speak startled.

"Pardon me, I am afraid I am not feeling very well," He said, "Shall we make way to refreshments?"

"Lead the way, my lord," She said smiling brightly. She was already good at masking her feelings and in time she would perfect it like him.

He learnt how to fake friendliness and be cheery with others when all he felt was indifference.

An indifferent man only looks good in a fairy tale and some women fancied him due to his aloof personality but when you are aiming for the seat in parliament you have to show a bit of emotion for not all battles are won by strategies and strength.

He felt proud of himself for how much he had achieved and he would go forward as to say he had mastery over his emotions and nothing could rankle him even a bit and then he ran into the woman that aroused a feeling of annoyance that he wanted to turn his back and leave.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.